- Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- Employee Benefits
- Employment & Labor
- U.S. District Court, District of Central Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Southern Illinois
- U.S. Circuit Court, Seventh Circuit
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, cum laude, 1976
B.A., Western Illinois University, 1973
Bill Schmitt’s practice focuses on commercial and complex tort litigation, as well as employment and labor law.
Litigation. Bill’s litigation experience includes defense of personal injury suits in the areas of products liability, industrial accidents, professional and general negligence cases. Bill has handled litigation on behalf of several of the region’s largest coal companies and also does significant work representing equipment manufacturers. He also has experience handling commercial insurance litigation.
Employment & Labor. Bill has experience handling wrongful discharge, race and sex discrimination, harassment, OSHA, MSHA, ADA, FMLA and other employment-related litigation. He represents clients in federal and state courts, as well as before the EEOC, Department of Labor and other administrative agencies.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- St. Clement Hospital, Board of Trustees
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Leading Lawyers – Commercial Litigation, Employment: Management, Personal Injury Defense
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Preeminent
News & Insights
- Interview with Bill Schmitt, "Medical marijuana law may open up can of worms for Illinois employers”Illinois Business Journal, July 2013
Articles & Books
- Southern Business Journal, June 5, 2012
- Smart Business St. Louis, October 2008