- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 2007
B.B.A, Finance and Economics, Loyola University Chicago, 2004
Upneet S. Teji is a co-leader of the Financial Services Industry Group at Greensfelder and is an officer in the firm’s Business Services practice group. His practice focuses on commercial lending and real estate, and his clients include lenders and borrowers in financing transactions involving single-bank and syndicated loans secured by a variety of asset types.
In addition to his lending practice, Upneet represents businesses in a broad range of commercial real estate and general corporate matters. Clients engage Upneet to advise and counsel on the acquisition, disposition and leasing of commercial real estate, day-to-day corporate counseling, and M&A transactions. His practice encompasses multiple industry verticals, including technology, energy, health care and finance. Upneet is also a member of the firm’s opinions committee.
Beyond his practice and role at the firm, Upneet frequently speaks at continuing legal education programs on a variety of topics and serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
- Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), Board of Directors member and Budget and Finance Committee member
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Real Estate Section Council
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow, 2017
- Executive Service Corps of Chicago (ESC), Board of Directors
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Notable Minorities in Accounting, Consulting & Law, Crain’s Chicago Business, 2019
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, 2021
- Represented lenders in over 100 commercial real estate loans to borrowers for the acquisition and refinance of multifamily properties.
- Represented a state agency in multiple acquisition loans in connection with the acquisition of low-income HUD subsidized properties.
- Represented related borrowers in connection with $14 million CMBS loan from conduit lender for refinance of debt on 8 properties located in 3 southeastern states and related defeasance of existing loans.
- Represented borrower in connection with a $46 million global credit facility for the refinancing of two skilled nursing facilities and the acquisition of a third skilled nursing facility.
- Represented administrative agent in a $100 million syndicated loan to the acquirer of an auto financing business.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a vehicle rental company in the acquisition of a major independent licensee and assumption of related leasehold interests related to a major airport car rental location.
- Represented seller in a $60 million sale of an international manufacturer and distributor to a private equity company involving the seller retaining and interest and management in purchaser.
- Represented a web hosting, server and cloud service provider client in multiple acquisitions of related businesses.
- Represented engineering firm in the acquisition of related businesses.
Commercial Real Estate
- Represented seller in the sale of a $75 million shopping center.
- Represented tenant in the negotiation of an office lease for a new 33,000-square-foot headquarters
- Represented tenant in the negotiation of a medical office lease in connection with acquisition of property by a REIT and a sublease of medical supply warehouse space.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition of undeveloped property in northwest Indiana in connection with a proposed development of an industrial site.
- Represented lender in connection with the disposition of several REO properties in the Chicago area.
News & Insights
- February 13, 2020
- Upneet Teji named to Crain’s Chicago Business 2019 Notable Minorities in Accounting, Consulting & Law listDecember 16, 2019
- January 2019
- August 2017
- February 1, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "What Is the Future of the Motor Fuel Station?”Petroleum Marketing Attorneys’ Meeting, April 1, 2022
- "Status Report on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: What Else Needs to Be Done to Get Us There?"2021 General Counsel Conference Midwest, October 13, 2021
- "Opinion Letters"IICLE 13th Annual Real Estate Short Course, Lisle, Illinois, Sept. 19-20, 2017