J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1972
B.S.B.A., Miami University, 1969
Tom Story's practice concentrates on all elements of real estate development, from parcel assemblage, construction and financing to leasing and sale. He practices with a particular emphasis on commercial real estate tax planning and creative financing, including IRC Section 1031 and 1033 exchanges, sale leasebacks and synthetic leasing.
Tom has litigation experience providing strategic advice on real estate litigation in such areas as condemnation, specific performance, violation of exclusives and restrictions in leases, REAs and lease disputes.
He is a former member of the firm’s Board of Directors and executive committee.
- American Bar Association, Property Law Committee
- The Missouri Bar, Property Law Committee
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2005-2021
- Chambers USA, Real Estate, 2013-2014
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Real Estate Law, 2006-2012
- Data Center Development Construction, Leasing and Financing. Advise national stock brokerage firm with respect to long-term leases on several 200,000+ office buildings, including purchase and first refusal options and construction matters. Also advised regarding structuring synthetic lease and revenue bonds for construction of data center.
- Retail Development Leasing and Financing. Advised major real estate developer with regard to site assemblage, leasing and financing for three retail centers, including a mixed-use retail, office and residential development.
- Multi-Site/Multi-State Synthetic Lease and Sale/Leaseback Transactions. Advised publicly traded auto parts retailer with respect to synthetic leasing involving approximately 100 future store sites and sale/leaseback transaction involving approximately 100 properties.
News & Insights
- August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- August 2018
- August 20, 2013