- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1974
- Washington University Law Review, 1972
A.B., Earlham College, 1971
From his first day at the firm — when he picked up a major pharmaceutical class action case before he had even unpacked — Russell Scott has built a practice committed to authentic client service and zealous advocacy as he defends claims including class action, civil RICO suits and toxic and mass tort litigation. His work also has included product liability, industrial accident cases, premises liability, construction, insurance coverage, and legal and medical malpractice suits. Russell also frequently defends clients in federal court, in particular the Southern District of Illinois.
Russell’s national class action cases have involved automotive parts, pharmaceuticals, fuel additives, herbicides, consumer products, computer processors and financial and insurance transactions. He often represents national clients as local counsel and managed litigation on a nationwide basis for a manufacturer for several years.
As a certified mediator, Russell mediates and arbitrates personal injury, professional liability, insurance, commercial and construction disputes and is on the mediation and arbitration panel for the United States Arbitration & Mediation Midwest office.
With a history and heart for public service, Russell’s professional and community involvement has kept him at the forefront of the region’s legal community, with leadership roles in local, state and national organizations. For the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, he served as chair of the Local Rules Committee and vice chair of the Civil Justice Reform Committee. Russell is also the firm leader of Greensfelder's Southern Illinois office, is a co-leader of the firm’s Pro Bono and Charitable Giving group and is a member of the firm's Board of Directors.
- Litigation Counsel of America, senior fellow
- International Academy of Dispute Resolution, board member
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association, former Assembly member, former Board of Governors member
- The Missouri Bar
- East St. Louis Bar Association
- St. Clair County Bar Association, former president
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- National Legal Aid and Defenders Association
- Federal Bar Association of Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- American Bar Foundation, life fellow
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Civil Practice and Procedure Committee
- Illinois Bar Foundation, former president and Pillar of the Profession level annual donor
- United States Arbitration and Mediation, Inc., Certified Mediator
- Defense Research Institute
- Appellate Lawyers Association
- Scottish Law Society
- Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation, board member, former president, fundraising committee member
- Illinois Supreme Court Select Committee on Pro Bono Publico, former chair
- BackStoppers of St. Louis
- Racial Harmony
- City of Belleville, Illinois, Board of Fire and Police Commissioners, Chairman
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Insurance, 2023-2024; Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 2023-2024; St. Louis area Litigation - Insurance Law Lawyer of the Year
- Academy of Illinois Lawyers, laureate
- ISBA Medal of Merit
- American Inns of Court Professionalism Award for the Seventh Circuit.
- Pillar of the Profession of the Illinois Bar Foundation, Distinguished Service to Law and Society Award
- Richard Hudlin Award for Public Service of the St. Clair County Bar Association
- John McAndrews Pro Bono Service Award of the Illinois State Bar Association
- Call for Help, Pillar of Hope Awards, Outstanding Community Leader
- Certificate of Appreciation awarded by the Legal Services Corporation
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- Illinois Leading Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent, rated for more than 25 consecutive years
- Represents national manufacturer in toxic tort litigation involving popcorn lung cases in multiple jurisdictions.
- Defends nursing homes, retail facilities, and technology firms in emerging Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA) cases in federal and state courts.
- Represented a key employee of a national insurer in high-profile RICO litigation, resulting in a favorable outcome.
- Mediated multi-million dollar construction injury, FELA and medical malpractice cases to mutually successful results.
News & Insights
- August 17, 2023
- Best Lawyers 2023 edition lists over 60 Greensfelder attorneys, including five St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 18, 2022
- January 28, 2022
- January 24, 2022
- Best Lawyers 2022 Edition Lists 60 Greensfelder Attorneys, including Three St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 19, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- August 2018
- June 2018
- Russell Scott recognized as an Outstanding Community Leader at Call for Help - Pillar of Hope Awards & Annual CelebrationJuly 10, 2014
- Congratulations to John Baer and Russell Scott, recognized as 2014 Super Lawyers in IllinoisJanuary 31, 2014
- Russell Scott named as 2012 recipient of American Inns of Court Professionalism Award for the Seventh Circuit Court of AppealsMay 2, 2012
- November 28, 2011
- Congratulations to Russell Scott, who received the Pro Bono Service Award for more than 25 years of pro bono representation and serviceOctober 18, 2011