J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law
B.A., Political Science, Saint Louis University
Paul Woody is an experienced business attorney and litigator with deep knowledge of the compliance and business concerns that affect franchisors of all types. He works with franchisors in a variety of industries to help ensure their compliance with federal and state laws and proactively avoid disputes. He is well-versed in all aspects of the franchisor-franchisee relationship and the agreements that govern those relationships. Paul has managed franchise litigation and directed litigation avoidance and prevention efforts. He is a Certified Franchise Executive and an adjunct professor at Saint Louis University School of Law, where he teaches franchise law.
Paul previously served as general counsel for a large sports and recreation franchisor with over 300 franchises throughout the U.S., Canada and Japan. In that role, he provided legal guidance and contributed to strategic planning and key decisions, oversaw compliance and litigation strategies, and managed franchisee relationships, including franchise transfers, rectifying compliance issues, and franchise terminations. Paul’s in-house experience enables him to anticipate and relate to the needs and priorities of the businesses, and business leaders, he represents.
Paul’s prior experience also includes all stages of corporate and employment litigation, including arguments before appellate courts. Before practicing law, he worked in state and local government and political communications. Paul understands that effective legal counsel and advocacy starts with effective communications. Clients value his ability to translate legalese into plain English and to make legal concepts and strategy accessible and understandable, skills he has honed in the capitol, the classroom and the courtroom.
- Certified Franchise Executive, International Franchise Association
- American Bar Association’s Forum on Franchising
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, “Bridging the Gap” Committee Chair, 2012-15
- The Missouri Bar
- Commissioner, St. Charles County Convention Center and Sports Facilities Authority, 2015-present
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL) Young Lawyers Division’s Award of Merit, 2014
News & Insights
- Interview with Leonard Vines and Paul Woody, "While chains seek multi-unit franchisees, small operators have room to grow in 2023"Restaurant Dive, January 30, 2023
- August 11, 2021
- The Licensing Journal, January 2022
- ABA Franchise Law Deskbook, 3rd EditionMissouri Franchise Law Chapter, 2019
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, February 2, 2023
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, December 5, 2022
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, November 21, 2022
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, November 22, 2021