- Business Services
- Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- Trusts & Estates
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2006
B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, 2001
Patrick Sweeney provides business-minded counsel to middle-market companies across a range of corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and general outside counsel advice.
Patrick understands the business needs of his clients from an insider's perspective. He was in-house counsel for a private equity-sponsored company in the apparel industry. His experience in a corporate legal department gives Patrick practical insight into the range of issues businesses face.
Patrick provides strategic M&A counsel to buyers and sellers, with particular focus in the manufacturing, distribution and professional service industries.
He also devotes a significant portion of his practice representing borrowers and lenders in a range of financing transactions. He handles commercial and industrial loans, real estate based transactions and conventional asset-based loans.
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Association for Corporate Growth
- University City Children's Center, Board of Directors, secretary
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2018-2019
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2011, 2013-2018
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, Best M&A Providers, 2016
Mergers and acquisitions
- Represented management team in buy-out of private equity sponsor of a distribution and service business utilizing tax credit financing.
- Represented majority shareholders in sale of health care company in a $40 million-plus transaction with strategic public-company buyer.
- Represented seller in asset sale of industrial container distribution business to strategic buyer.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of mortgage banking business from industry competitor.
- Represented buyer in equity acquisition of software company serving the sports industry.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of 50-plus automotive parts retail locations throughout northeastern United States from industry competitor.
- Represented equity holders in sale of health care IT company in a $225 million-plus transaction with strategic buyer.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of distressed manufacturing business out of state court receivership.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of retail fixture manufacturing company from industry competitor.
- Represented seller in sale of trademark portfolio of apparel company to strategic buyer.
- Represented seller in sale of coffee roasting and wholesale business to private equity buyer.
- Represented seller in $53 million sale of tradeshow products manufacturing business to strategic buyer.
- Represented equity holders of health care IT company in connection with a $40 million investment from private equity group to fund a dividend recapitalization to equity holders.
- Represented buyer in $17 million management buy-out of food import and distribution business.
- Represented shareholders in a sale of retail company to management utilizing SBA financing.
- Represented equity holders of insurance marketing company in connection with a $45 million investment from private equity group to fund a dividend recapitalization to equity holders.
- Represented shareholder in a sale of equity in an insurance brokerage to remaining shareholder group through a leveraged buy-out.
Debt and equity financings
- Represented private utility company in private placement transactions to raise private debt and equity financing.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $39 million in taxable industrial revenue bonds to fund the expansion of automotive parts manufacturing facility.
- Represented investor in $3.5 million convertible note investment in chocolate company coupled with issuance of equity warrants.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in private placement to raise $15 million equity investment.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $2.8 million in Missouri BUILD bonds to fund the expansion of manufacturing facility.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $5.6 million in taxable and tax-exempt industrial revenue bonds to fund the expansion of trade fixture manufacturing facility.
- Represented borrower in the placement of $75 million unsecured debt.
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Association of Corporate Counsel, St. Louis Chapter, September 16, 2016