- Business Services
- Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- Trusts & Estates
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2006
B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, 2001
Patrick Sweeney provides business-minded counsel to middle-market companies across a range of corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and general outside counsel advice.
He provides strategic M&A counsel to buyers and sellers, frequently in the manufacturing, distribution, energy, retail, and professional service industries. Drawing upon his experience as in-house counsel for a private equity-sponsored company in the apparel industry, he understands the business needs of his clients from an insider's perspective and is frequently called upon to act as outside general counsel.
He also devotes a significant portion of his practice to representing borrowers and lenders in a range of financing transactions. He handles commercial and industrial loans, real estate-based transactions and conventional asset-based loans.
Patrick has assisted numerous clients in ESOP transactions over the past decade. In collaboration with Greensfelder’s ERISA attorneys, he has represented ESOP trustees, buyers, sellers and ESOP sponsors in the formation, acquisition and divesture of ESOP-owned companies. He is also active in the National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO).
Patrick serves as co-leader of the firm’s Closely-Held Business/Private Client Industry Group.
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Family Office Exchange
- University City Children's Center, Board of Directors, secretary
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2018-2022
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2011, 2013-2019
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, Best M&A Providers, 2016
Mergers and acquisitions
- Represented family in sale and rollover of equity in packaging manufacturing and distribution business to private equity buyer.
- Represented buyer in stock purchase of material handling equipment dealer business from ESOP seller.
- Represented owners in sale and rollover of equity in HDPE manufacturing business to private equity buyer.
- Represented buyer in asset purchase of material handling equipment dealer business from family seller.
- Represented owners in sale and rollover of equity in intermodal transportation business to strategic acquirer.
- Represented management team in buy-out of private equity sponsor of a distribution and service business utilizing tax credit financing.
- Represented majority shareholders in sale of health care company in a $40 million-plus transaction with strategic public-company buyer.
- Represented seller in asset sale of industrial container distribution business to strategic buyer.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of mortgage banking business from industry competitor.
- Represented buyer in equity acquisition of software company serving the sports industry.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of 50-plus automotive parts retail locations throughout northeastern United States from industry competitor.
- Represented equity holders in sale of health care IT company in a $225 million-plus transaction with strategic buyer.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of distressed manufacturing business out of state court receivership.
- Represented buyer in asset acquisition of retail fixture manufacturing company from industry competitor.
- Represented seller in sale of trademark portfolio of apparel company to strategic buyer.
- Represented seller in sale of coffee roasting and wholesale business to private equity buyer.
- Represented seller in $53 million sale of tradeshow products manufacturing business to strategic buyer.
- Represented equity holders of health care IT company in connection with a $40 million investment from private equity group to fund a dividend recapitalization to equity holders.
- Represented buyer in $17 million management buy-out of food import and distribution business.
- Represented shareholders in a sale of retail company to management utilizing SBA financing.
- Represented equity holders of insurance marketing company in connection with a $45 million investment from private equity group to fund a dividend recapitalization to equity holders.
- Represented shareholder in a sale of equity in an insurance brokerage to remaining shareholder group through a leveraged buy-out.
Debt and equity financings
- Represented private utility company in private placement transactions to raise private debt and equity financing.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $39 million in taxable industrial revenue bonds to fund the expansion of automotive parts manufacturing facility.
- Represented investor in $3.5 million convertible note investment in chocolate company coupled with issuance of equity warrants.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in private placement to raise $15 million equity investment.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $2.8 million in Missouri BUILD bonds to fund the expansion of manufacturing facility.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $5.6 million in taxable and tax-exempt industrial revenue bonds to fund the expansion of trade fixture manufacturing facility.
- Represented borrower in the placement of $75 million unsecured debt.
- Represented borrower in $100+ million unsecured credit facility.
- Represented borrower in $20+ million revolving credit facility with CapEx term loans.
- Represented borrower in $100+ million project finance credit facility with multi-project draw provisions.
- Represented borrower in $10+ million convertible debt offering.
- Represented ESOP trustee in a combination of two 100% ESOP-owned companies through a share exchange transaction.
- Represented ESOP trustee in the establishment of an ESOP for a company.
- Represented an ESOP-owned company in a secondary transaction buying out the balance of the company shares held outside of the ESOP.
- In collaboration with ERISA colleagues, represented the seller-owner in a transition of the company to 100% ESOP-owned business.
- Represented a construction company in a transition of the company to 100% ESOP-owned business.
News & Insights
- St. Louis Business Journal, September 13, 2021
- Best Lawyers 2022 Edition Lists 60 Greensfelder Attorneys, including Three St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 19, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- March 2019
- November 2018
- August 2018
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Association of Corporate Counsel, St. Louis Chapter, September 16, 2016