- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1977, Order of the Coif
B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, cum laude, 1973
Having represented virtually every segment of the construction industry in transactions and disputes, Mike Wilson's experience encompasses an array of matters including:
- Contract advice and negotiation and preparation of contract documents
- Insurance, indemnity and risk management advice
- Claim evaluation and claim advice
- Claim negotiation
- Claim avoidance, mitigation or resolution
- Formal alternative dispute resolution (mediation and arbitration)
- Construction litigation
Sound advice regarding dispute resolution is a priority of Mike's practice, but when necessary, he has prosecuted and defended claims relating to issues including delay and disruption damages, mechanic’s liens, payment and performance bonds, construction or design defects, contract termination, insurance coverage, indemnity, and contract sum and change order recovery. He has represented clients in federal courts, federal boards of contract appeals, state courts, mediations and arbitration proceedings across the United States, as well as handling design or construction matters for projects outside the United States.
Mike has presented at seminars and written seminar articles on construction law topics including contract review, design/build contracts, mechanic’s liens, insurance, indemnity and construction claims.
- American Bar Association, Public Law Section and Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Arbitration Association
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2005-2021; Litigation - Construction, 2011-2021; St. Louis area Construction Law Lawyer of the Year, 2017
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Construction / Surety, 2005-19
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of, and defending claims against, a large North American cement producer in relation to the design and construction of a new approximate $100 million cement plant in the Kansas City area.
- Defended a large nationwide surety company in a federal court case in the Eastern District of Arkansas and on appeal. The plaintiff was a nationwide road contractor.
- Defended of claims against and presented claims in favor of a nationwide contractor in a steel collapse case in a New Jersey state court.
- Represented an international cement company in a significant dispute with a Belgium company over the design and rehabilitation of a “moth-balled” lime plant.
- Prosecuted mechanic’s lien claims for several contractors, including subcontractors, on a project in the St. Louis area where the owner filed for bankruptcy.
- Represented a nationwide surety client in a federal case in the Eastern District of Missouri.
- Defended an architectural firm in a personal injury case arising out of the former Station Casino in St. Charles, Missouri.
- Defended an architectural firm in a delay claim brought by a subcontractor on a records center project in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- Defended an architectural firm in a personal injury case arising out the above-referenced project in Michigan.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of, and defended claims against, a steel fabrication client arising out of a prison project in Illinois.
- Tried a multi-week case in the Illinois Court of Claims for a joint venture of two nationwide contractors. The claims included discrete damage claims and a delay claim. Received one of the highest awards granted by the Illinois Court of Claims.
- Handled an arbitration representing the design-builder for a project in Hayward, California. The arbitration involved nearly 30 parties and the amount in controversy between the owner and design-builder was nearly $20 million. The arbitration concerned several arbitrations consolidated into one.
- Defended a general contractor in an arbitration brought by the purchaser of the property built for the prior owner. The project was a multiple unit four story structure in Webster Groves, Missouri.
- Prosecuted claims in favor of, and defended claims against, a design/build joint venture in a federal court case in the Central District of California. The project involved the design and construction of a coal handling facility for a cogeneration plant. Among the claims were those relating to defective design, defective construction, changes, and delay.
- Defended a subcontractor in construction defects litigation in St. Louis County Circuit Court, Missouri.
- Defended a client that designed and built the plumbing and mechanical systems for a hotel in Collinsville, Illinois. The owner replaced the supply plumbing lines system.
- Defended a nationwide surety company in a federal lawsuit in St. Louis, Missouri. The project was the new federal courthouse in St. Louis.
- Defended a nationwide contractor in a federal court case in the Eastern District of Kentucky involving the construction of an automobile plant expansion project near Lexington, Kentucky.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of, and defended claims against, a large grocery chain owner in an arbitration in Missouri. The project involved the expansion of two significant warehouses. Among the claims were claims for defective construction, changes and delay damages.
- Represented an architectural firm in response to claims threatened by the owner with respect to the design and construction of improvements to a preexisting parking deck structure.
- Defended a general contractor in a case brought by the subcontractor on a parking garage project in the St. Louis area.
- Prosecuted claims for a general contractor on a historic rehabilitation project involving multiple sites in St. Louis. The claims against the owner, including a delay claim, were arbitrated.
- Prosecuted a mechanic’s lien claim for a subcontractor on an oil refinery improvement project in Wood River, Illinois. The owner filed for bankruptcy in the Bankruptcy Court in St. Louis.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of a general contractor against, among others, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in a lawsuit in federal court in the Eastern District of Missouri. The project is located in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Defended a contractor in an arbitration in Illinois brought by the owner. This case involved the defense of several distinct construction-related claims arising out of the construction of two buildings.
- Defense of $70 million in claims against hospital design and build firms in a case in Texas.
- Defense of a $3 million-plus HVAC claim in Kansas City.
- Defense of a $3 million-plus claim against a roof consulting firm in a federal court case in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Represented a nationwide surety client in a federal case in the Eastern District of Missouri. Received judgment in the surety's favor; all claims by the other party exceeding $10 million were dismissed.
- Gannon Joint Venture Ltd. Partnership v. Masonite Corp. 2008 WL 2074107, 2074108 and 2074110 (E.D. Mo 2008).
- Trinity Products, Inc. v. Burgess Steel LLC, 486 F.3d 325 (8th Cir. 2007).
- Travelers Cas. and Surety of America v. Southwest Contracting, Inc., 2007 WL 1485983 (E.D. Mo. 2007).
- Travelers Cas. and Surety of America v. Southwest Contracting, Inc., 2006 WL 680955 and 276942 (E.D. Mo. 2006).
- Angelo Iafrate Construction, LLC v. Potaschnick Construction, Inc., 370 F.3d 715 (8th Cir. 2004).
- Shively v. Belleville Township High School Dist. No. 201, et al., 329 Ill.App.3d 1156 (5th Dist. 2002).
- Caldera v. J.S. Alberici Construction Co., 153 F.3d 1381 (Fed. Cir. 1998).
- In re Marrs-Winn Company, Inc., 103 F.3d 584 (7th Cir. 1996).
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. v. Fru-Con Construction Corp., 101 F.3d 63 (7th Cir. 1996).
- Korte Construction Co. v. Deaconess Manor Association, 927 S.W.2d 395 (Mo. App. E.D. 1996).
News & Insights
- August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- November 2018
- August 2018
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Update on Missouri’s Public Works Prompt Payment Act"Construction Law Seminar, October 9, 2014
- "Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order"Construction Law Seminar, October 9, 2014
- Nuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, March 27, 2020
- Nuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, June 3, 2019
- Nuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, February 22, 2018
- Nuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, July 19, 2017
- New Missouri law will restrict public-entity mandated project labor agreements on public works projectsNuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, June 8, 2017
- Nuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, February 6, 2017