- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1997
B.S., Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1985
As a registered patent attorney with a background in engineering, Mark Stallion brings his intellectual property clients a strong combination of legal and technical knowledge. He handles patent and trademark prosecution and portfolio management, both domestic and foreign. He also renders patent infringement, validity and other opinions and advises in areas including:
- Software, artificial intelligence, blockchain
- Business methods, online marketing and advertising
- Automated food processing and food science technology
- Electrical, signal, audio and image processing, electro-optics
- Manufacturing and electro-mechanical design
- Mechanical, heavy equipment and robotics
- Telecommunications and utilities
- Petroleum exploration/production systems
Mark also provides patent litigation support and litigation management. His practice includes patent, copyright, trademark, trade secrets, technology agreements, confidentiality/nondisclosure agreements, employment/consulting agreements, cloud computing and social media policies and agreements, software escrow and data rights agreements and licensing agreements for open-source software. He also handles IP portfolio management, including intellectual property valuation and due diligence for mergers and acquisitions. Mark represents Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies as well as mid-cap and startup companies. Mark also represents various universities and research institutions assisting with their protection and commercialization efforts.
Mark previously spent more than a decade as a senior project engineer and engineering manager. His work included technical areas such as electronic, electro-mechanical, digital and analog signal processing, software, electro-optical, display/vision systems, IR/electronic airborne counter-measures, processor and control systems, digital map and radar image analysis for target recognition, and terrain following. He has drafted patent applications for many of these technologies as a patent attorney.
Mark is dedicated to mentoring local students as well as entrepreneurs. He has mentored high schoolers through Junior Achievement and served on the boards of the Independent Youth entrepreneurship organization and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. In addition, he is a board member for Arch Grants, which provides funding to innovative startup companies, and for Venture Café, which is also a part of the startup community ecosystem.
Mark is the leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property group, as well as the Cortex team, which supports entrepreneurs and the wider innovation community.
- American Bar Association
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Mound City Bar Association
- Arch Grants, board member
- HBCU Consortium, founder
- Independent Youth, Advisory Board
- Leadership St. Louis
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Pro Bono Program, Advisory Board
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America, board member
- Venture Café, board member
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Law, 2010; Copyright Law, 2014-2022; Patent Law, 2019-2022
- Top Patent Attorneys, St. Louis Small Business Monthly, 2018-2020
- Patent preparation and prosecution, general portfolio management and opinion work for Fortune 100 and 500 companies in areas including automated industrial production systems.
- Patent preparation and prosecution, general portfolio management and opinion work for public and private universities and research institutions.
- Patent preparation and prosecution, general portfolio management and opinion work for universities in technology areas including electrical, electro-mechanical, software, bio-medical and bio-electrical technologies.
News & Insights
- Best Lawyers 2022 Edition Lists 60 Greensfelder Attorneys, including Three St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 19, 2021
- Law360, July 19, 2021
- Law360, May 24, 2021
- Bloomberg Law, May 10, 2021
- IPWatchdog, January 4, 2021
- Law360, January 3, 2021
- Law360, December 22, 2020
- Bloomberg Law, November 6, 2020
- Bloomberg Law, September 9, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- Congratulations to Mark Stallion on being one of St. Louis Small Business Monthly’s Best IP AttorneysJanuary 2020
- August 15, 2019
- June 2019
- March 8, 2019
- February 14, 2019
- August 2018
- January 2018
- Westlaw Today and Reuters, July 12, 2021
- "Navigating the Legal Issues Surrounding Social Media: Understanding and Avoiding the Legal Risks Associated with Social Media Services"Thomson Reuters/Aspatore, 2012
- "Understanding the Legal Risks of Cloud Computing: Navigating the Network Security and Data Privacy Issues Associated with Cloud Services"Thomson Reuters/Aspatore, 2012
- May 20, 2020
- April 27, 2020