- Business Services
- Real Estate
- Trusts & Estates
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1984
M.B.A., Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville, 1981
B.S., Accounting, Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville, 1980
Drawing on more than 30 years in real estate law, Kurt’s experience representing national, regional and local clients in complex legal matters has earned him the respect of peers and clients alike as a trusted friend and advisor. Kurt knows how to adapt his experience to meet the unique needs of any business situation with a “one size fits one” client-centered approach.
Developers, financial institutions, hospitals, school districts, railroads, corporations and individuals rely on Kurt for matters involving commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential properties. Kurt’s practice includes sales and acquisitions, tax deferred exchanges, leasing, real estate development, tax increment financing (TIF), zoning, property tax appeals, eminent domain, mechanics’ lien claims, mineral rights and real estate litigation.
In addition to his real estate practice, Kurt provides outside general counsel services in corporate law, trusts and estates and business litigation. He also has a longstanding commitment to serve others through his community involvement. As a member of school and hospital boards in the region, Kurt has developed an even deeper understanding of the legal issues those clients face.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- Belleville Township High School District 201, board member, three-term past-president, 2000-2019
- Memorial Hospital East, director, 2013-present; chairman of the board, 2018-present; Quality Improvement Committee chair
- Memorial Hospital Foundation Capital Campaign, co-chairman, 2013-2016
- Greater St. Louis Area Council Boy Scouts of America, executive board member, 2009-present
- Okaw Valley Council Boy Scouts of America, executive board member, 2009-present
- BJC Healthcare, Patient Care Committee member
- Memorial Group, Inc., director
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Land Use, Zoning & Condemnation; Real Estate: Commercial, Residential and Finance
- Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, Kimmel Community Service Award, 2006
- Boy Scouts of America, District Award of Merit, 1998, and Silver Beaver Award, 2001
- Negotiates, closes and defends real estate transactions and disputes for corporations, partnerships, and individuals with commercial, industrial, agricultural, and residential real estate matters.
- Achieved completion of a multi-million dollar recreation real estate development including sporting facilities, aquatic center, rehabilitation center, C-store/fuel station and a bank.
- Routinely represents closely held businesses with turnkey legal needs from asset purchase agreements to real estate sales agreements.
- Represented a leading car dealership with a real estate/land acquisition to successful grow and expand the dealer’s business.
- Provides outside general counsel to a high-net-worth family for all legal matters including real estate sales, purchases and 1031 like-kind exchanges, formation of businesses, and estate plans.
- Facilitated a multi-million-dollar loan transaction to a port authority on an accelerated basis to include prepared loan documentation, obtained bond counsel opinion and handled loan closing within weeks.
News & Insights
- Leading Lawyers lists Kurt Schroeder, Kevin Vick and Don Weihl among Top 100 Downstate Real Estate Lawyers in IllinoisLeading Lawyers, January 2020
- February 2019
- Illinois Business Journal, December 2018