- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
J.D., IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2014, Dean's List
B.A., International Relations, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2011
Koplan Nwabuoku is a litigator who has managed cases from inception to resolution in federal and state courts. He has experience in an array of litigation matters including complex commercial litigation disputes, defending officers and directors in dissociative litigation, employment torts and disputes over restrictive covenants, among other areas.
Koplan’s litigation experience includes managing discovery in complex commercial litigation matters, including federal false claims act litigation. He has drafted numerous successful appellate briefs, conducted depositions in commercial litigation and probate matters, and orally advocated for clients in emergency injunctive motion hearings, dispositive motion hearings, and status hearings. Koplan has helmed commercial contract disputes, executed commercial evictions, and litigated shareholder derivative disputes. He secured a substantial award for a client in a federal breach of contract trial and non-liability verdicts in several commercial breach of contract trials.
In law school, Koplan was a member of the Moot Court Honor Society, where he won the Ilana Diamond Rovner competition for oral advocacy and was a regional champion of the ABA Appellate Advocacy competition.
Before law school, Koplan earned a bachelor’s degree in international relations from Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana, where he also competed as a 200M and 400M sprinter on the track and field team. He was also a violinist for the university’s symphony orchestra. Koplan keeps active by participating in local running competitions and still plays the violin from time to time.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Secured a substantial award for his client in a federal diversity breach of contract trial.
- Drafted and argued successful dispositive motions in health care litigation matters, complex commercial litigation matters, and drafted and defended dispositive motions in shareholder derivative suits.
- Coordinated discovery in several complex commercial litigation matters, including complex federal false claims act litigation.
News & Insights
- Chicago Medicine, July 2018