- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
J.D., Saint Louis University, Saint Louis University Law Journal, 1973
A.B., Saint Louis University, 1970
Kevin O’Malley recently served the country as the United States Ambassador to Ireland. He was nominated by President Barack Obama and appeared before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, where senators from both parties testified on his behalf. He was later confirmed by the full U.S. Senate. He took up residence in Dublin and immediately began work to broaden and deepen the commercial and cultural ties between the U.S. and Ireland. As ambassador, he partnered with the American Chamber of Commerce Ireland and others to promote the work of the 700 American businesses based in Ireland and flourishing there and throughout the European Union.
Before departing for his post in Ireland, he was an officer in the litigation practice group at Greensfelder, where he led the medical negligence and white-collar crime areas of practice at the firm. A former federal prosecutor, he has tried numerous cases to conclusion in the federal and state courts of Missouri, Illinois, California and Arizona. He was elected to Fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers and is the senior author of the nine-volume treatise Federal Jury Practice and Instructions. He was appointed to serve on the Missouri Board for the Healing Arts, the state’s licensing and disciplinary authority for physicians, as its only non-physician member. The doctors subsequently elected him to serve as their president.
Among his interests in Ireland, he:
- Met with leaders of many of the American companies resident in Ireland and toured their facilities;
- Interacted on an almost daily basis with leaders of Irish government on behalf of American interests;
- Hosted trade delegations from Missouri and other areas to connect them with businesses in all parts of Ireland;
- Promoted the J-1 Visa program, which allows Irish college students to work and travel in the United States; and
- Initiated the Creative Minds series, which invited prominent American writers, artists, musicians and others to perform and share their creative experiences with Irish audiences.
He also teaches American law in Ireland and served as a Non-Executive Director of Greencore Group plc, a large international food company headquartered in Dublin and traded on the London Stock Exchange. In 2019, he was appointed as the Ambassador in Residence and Professor of Practice affiliated with the Center for International and Comparative Law at Saint Louis University School of Law.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Saint Louis University School of Law Order of the Fleur de Lis Hall of Fame, 2019
- World Trade Center St. Louis’ Global Ambassador Award
- Award of Honor, The Lawyers Association of St. Louis
- Distinguished Service Award, United States Attorney General
- American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow
News & Insights
- September 30, 2019
- Interview with Kevin O’Malley, "Kevin O’Malley returns to St. Louis after serving as U.S. ambassador to Ireland"Missouri Lawyers Weekly, March 31, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- June 5, 2014