- Electronic Information Management
- Employee Benefits
- Employment & Labor
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
J.D., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1995, Dean's List; Missouri Law Review, associate member, 1993-1994, Note & Comment Editor, 1994-1995; Student Bar Association, President, 1994-1995
B.A, English, Boston College, 1992, Dean's List
With a practice that handles a range of employment issues including traditional labor matters, Kevin McLaughlin works with employers to navigate lawsuits, investigations and day-to-day human resources issues.
Kevin frequently defends employers and management in employment discrimination lawsuits, wage and hour class action lawsuits, ERISA litigation and demands for arbitration, as well as lawsuits concerning non-competition and confidentiality agreements. Kevin's practice includes work with clients in the construction, securities, retail and manufacturing industries, among others.
With extensive experience in traditional labor law, Kevin provides counsel to management with respect to union relations, labor arbitrations and collective bargaining agreements. His daily practice includes assisting clients in their handling of employee discipline and termination. He also advises on compliance with employment laws such as Title VII, ERISA, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family & Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and wage and hour laws, as well as their state law counterparts.
Kevin advises clients in conducting internal investigations of employee complaints of harassment and frequently addresses day-to-day human resources and employee benefits questions. He works with clients on employee handbooks, personnel policies, employment agreements, separation agreements and non-compete agreements.
The leader of the firm's Employment & Labor practice group and a former member of the firm’s Board of Directors, Kevin frequently lectures on topics including payroll management, employee discharge and documentation, prevailing wage issues and managing union workers.
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri State High School Football Official, 1995-2015
- St. Peter Catholic Church, volunteer coach, 2003-2015
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management, Employment Law - Management, 2013-2019
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2013-2019; Leader in the Field, 2013
- Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star, 2018
- Represented a large retail establishment in a Missouri Human Rights Act lawsuit, obtaining dismissal of the lawsuit and of the appeal.
- Represented a national retailer in a nationwide class action wage and hour lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment for a construction company in a race discrimination claim in the city of St. Louis.
- Defeated class certification in WARN Act class action litigation, on behalf of a large retailer.
News & Insights
- August 15, 2019
- April 2019
- October 15, 2018
- Interview with Kevin McLaughlin, "Dotted Line: How to conduct business in a world of discrimination and harassment claims"Construction Dive, August 28, 2018
- August 2018
- May 3, 2018
- May 26, 2017
- May 27, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Webster Groves/Shrewsbury/Rock Hill Area Chamber of Commerce's Networking Lunch, September 19, 2019
- Corporate Counsel Institute, St. Louis, MO, May 15, 2019
- Financial Poise webinar, November 30, 2017
- October 16, 2013
- Employment & Labor Seminar - Developments & Trends in Employment and Labor Law, Common Employer Mistakes and How to Avoid ThemSeptember 16, 2010
- Society for Human Resource Management, February 23, 2016
- Smart Business St. Louis, September 2008
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , November 18, 2016
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , April 11, 2016
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , October 30, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , June 30, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , July 5, 2013
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , April 8, 2013