- Electronic Information Management
- Employee Benefits
- Employment & Labor
- Restrictive Covenants & Trade Secrets
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
J.D., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1995, Dean's List; Missouri Law Review, associate member, 1993-1994, Note & Comment Editor, 1994-1995; Student Bar Association, President, 1994-1995
B.A, English, Boston College, 1992, Dean's List
Kevin McLaughlin is President and Chief Executive Officer of the firm and represents clients in employment and labor matters. In his role as CEO, he oversees the daily affairs of all of the firm’s offices, leading strategic, financial and operational issues. His priorities in firm leadership include guiding long-term strategic growth initiatives, promoting diversity of leadership, and enhancing the firm’s service to clients and community.
In his legal practice, Kevin handles a range of employment issues including traditional labor matters, working with employers to navigate lawsuits, investigations and human resources issues. He has defended employers and management in employment discrimination lawsuits, wage and hour class action lawsuits, ERISA litigation and demands for arbitration, as well as lawsuits concerning non-competition and confidentiality agreements. His practice has included work with clients in the construction, financial services, retail and manufacturing industries, among others.
With extensive experience in traditional labor law, Kevin also is experienced in providing counsel to management with respect to union relations, labor arbitrations and collective bargaining agreements. He advises on compliance with employment laws such as Title VII, ERISA, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family & Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and wage and hour laws, as well as their state law counterparts, and assists in conducting internal investigations of employee complaints of harassment.
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri State High School Football Official, 1995-2015
- St. Peter Catholic Church, volunteer coach, 2003-2015
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law – Management, Employment Law – Management, 2013-2021
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2013-2019; Leader in the Field, 2013
- Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star, 2018-2020
- Represented a large retail establishment in a Missouri Human Rights Act lawsuit, obtaining dismissal of the lawsuit and of the appeal.
- Represented a national retailer in a nationwide class action wage and hour lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment for a construction company in a race discrimination claim in the city of St. Louis.
- Defeated class certification in WARN Act class action litigation, on behalf of a large retailer.
News & Insights
- August 20, 2020
- April 23, 2020
- September 2019
- August 15, 2019
- April 2019
- October 15, 2018
- Interview with Kevin McLaughlin, "Dotted Line: How to conduct business in a world of discrimination and harassment claims"Construction Dive, August 28, 2018
- August 2018
- May 3, 2018
- May 26, 2017
- May 27, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Webster Groves/Shrewsbury/Rock Hill Area Chamber of Commerce's Networking Lunch, September 19, 2019
- Corporate Counsel Institute, St. Louis, MO, May 15, 2019
- "Personnel Issues - Hiring, On-boarding, Training, Retaining, and Terminating"Financial Poise webinar, November 30, 2017
- October 16, 2013
- Employment & Labor Seminar - Developments & Trends in Employment and Labor Law, Common Employer Mistakes and How to Avoid ThemSeptember 16, 2010
- Key Steps to Prepare for a Union-Organizing CampaignSociety for Human Resource Management, February 23, 2016
- Smart Business St. Louis, September 2008
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , November 18, 2016
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , April 11, 2016
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , October 30, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , June 30, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , July 5, 2013
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , April 8, 2013