- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
J.D., Creighton University School of Law, 1996
B.A., Saint Louis University, magna cum laude, 1992
Kevin Hormuth is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in business torts, commercial health care, franchise and distribution and general commercial litigation. As leader of the firm’s Litigation practice group, he frequently represents medical providers in general commercial litigation, including class actions related to payor disputes. He frequently represents clients facing consumer protection claims, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements and a variety of matters originating with temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions and other injunctive relief.
He has tried cases in numerous state and federal venues and has argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, and Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern and Western Districts.
He is a co-author of Missouri Trial Objections, a guide to objections frequently used in Missouri. Prior to law school, he was an assistant editor for The Sporting News.
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Health Law and Life Sciences subcommittee chair
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Illinois Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Health Lawyers Association, member
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2020
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, "Up and Coming Lawyer," 2009
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, 2009
- Represented a hospital system in a class action brought by uninsured patients who alleged unfair pricing. The claims were dismissed.
- Represented a hospital system facing claims of unfair billing practices from patients with out-of-network insurance, who claimed the hospital was violating Missouri’s Merchandising Practices Act. The hospital was granted summary judgment.
- Represented a corporate registered agent company being sued for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and negligence by a former client. A district court dismissed the $10 million claim against the company.
- Represented an off-shore pipeline contractor in a claim for non-payment and in defense of counterclaims for breach of contract. The case resulted in a $2.6 million verdict for the contractor.
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Your Money or Your PHI: HHS ‘Guidance’ on Ransomware"Meritas Capability Webinar, October 10, 2017
- The Missouri Bar, July 25, 2017
- "Properly Handling Requests and Subpoenas for Medical Records and Billing Information"Missouri Hospital Association, November 2014
- "Records Retention for Health Care Companies"ACC Annual Meeting - New Orleans, October 2014
- Missouri Evidence WorkshopMissouri Bar Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 2007
- Co-Author, “Trends in Data Breach Litigation,” Chapter 11ABA Annual Review, 2016
- Missouri Trial ObjectionsThompson-West, 2012
- "Civil Liability for Computer Tampering"The Business Torts Litigation Chapter, American Bar Association Annual Review, 2012
- "Personal Jurisdiction Based on E-Contacts"The Business Torts Litigation Chapter, American Bar Association Annual Review, 2011
- "Restrictive Covenants"The Business Torts Litigation Chapter, American Bar Association Annual Review, 2010
- "Cross-Border Litigation Involving Canadian Companies"The Business Torts Litigation Chapter, American Bar Association Annual Review, 2009
- "No-Injury Consumer Class Actions"The Business Torts Litigation Chapter, American Bar Association Annual Review, 2008