J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, Order of the Woolsack, cum laude, 2000
B.A., University of Dayton, cum laude, 1997
Katie Fowler defends businesses in complex civil litigation, including in the areas of pharmaceutical, medical malpractice, product liability, environmental and class action litigation. Her strong communication and influencing skills have proven successful in presenting to courts and juries, taking and defending key fact and expert witnesses’ depositions, negotiating with opposing counsel, and taking leadership roles on cases. She is a thoughtful, creative and aggressive advocate for her clients.
Katie has defended hospitals, nurses and physicians in numerous personal injury and wrongful death claims. She has experience as a lead trial attorney for a large nationally known hospital in high-exposure birth injury litigation and has successfully defended other providers at trials involving claims of medical malpractice. She has also represented a large pharmaceutical company as regional counsel in litigation involving several of its prescription medications.
Katie’s experience also includes helping clients navigate complex environmental litigation. She defends energy companies in class actions alleging improper air emissions and groundwater contamination. Recently, she drafted an amicus curiae brief on behalf of a diverse array of grower associations, food processors and food retailers relating to the cancellation of pesticide products by the Environmental Protection Agency.
As a result of Katie’s dedication to justice and to serving her community, she founded the Sister Jackie Toben Legal Clinic to serve participants of the Let’s Start program. Let's Start is a nonprofit organization that assists women re-entering society after incarceration. Katie also served on its Board of Directors for 10 years. Through the legal clinic, she and others have volunteered hundreds of hours of pro bono legal services.
- Defense Research Institute
- Commercial Real Estate Women
- Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater St. Louis
- Mound City Bar Association
- Let’s Start, president of the Board of Directors, 2007-2015; board member, 2005-2007
- Sister Jackie Toben Legal Clinic, founder and director, 2011-present
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Sandra Ware Gratitude Award, 2015
- The Missouri Bar Pro Bono Wall of Fame, 2014
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict on behalf of a nationally known hospital in a medical malpractice action in the City of St. Louis
- Obtained a directed verdict in a medical malpractice action on behalf of a nationally known hospital in the City of St. Louis.
- Obtained dismissal of an action alleging violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act against a nationally known hospital based on plaintiff’s failure to obtain an affidavit supporting her claims in compliance with RSMo § 538.225. This decision was upheld on appeal and has served as precedent in several subsequent cases interpreting RSMo § 538.225.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement of a shareholder’s lawsuit alleging wrongful conversion of stock during the cash and share elections conducted in connection with a corporate merger.
- Second-chaired a medical malpractice case to a defense verdict in the City of St. Louis
- Second-chaired a Missouri Merchandising Practices Act case to a defense verdict in St. Louis County
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of an International agricultural company in a multimillion-dollar environmental case with potentially high exposure
- Obtained 100 percent recovery in a commercial lease dispute. After Katie won a verdict for her client at trial, the defendant fraudulently transferred assets to avoid collection. Katie relentlessly pursued collection and devised a novel strategy, successfully obtaining a creditor’s bill in equity to allow collection of the fraudulently transferred assets. In addition to collecting the full judgment which was in excess of $100,000, Katie recovered costs and post-judgment interest.