- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
J.D., Washington University School of Law, magna cum laude, 2012, Washington University Journal of Law & Policy, Order of the Coif
B.A., Baylor University, Journalism, 2002
John Drake defends business clients in all phases of litigation and dispute resolution, from research and discovery to trial. He has experience with a range of commercial litigation matters, including Uniform Commercial Code and contract disputes, business disputes involving insurance companies, financial services and construction-related matters. John also has handled class action matters and government and municipal litigation.
John also has experience advising companies on compliance with state and federal regulations governing product safety, promotions, and advertising. He has helped companies interact with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and advised manufacturers and distributors on launching and administering voluntary product recalls. This area of his practice is complemented by John’s journalism background — specifically his insights from reporting on consumer issues as a news reporter for The Boston Globe, Associated Press and The State newspaper in Columbia, South Carolina.
During law school, John was a judicial extern for Judge Raymond W. Gruender of the U.S Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and a legal intern for the Anti-Defamation League in St. Louis. Before joining Greensfelder, he was a member of the litigation and dispute resolution practice in the St. Louis office of a global law firm.
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Pathfinder Program, 2018
- Mound City Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division chair, 2014-15
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- FOCUS St. Louis Emerging Leaders, spring 2014
- EAGLE College Prep Charter School, Board of Directors
- First Baptist Church of Chesterfield, Constitution & Bylaws Committee co-chair
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Negotiation Theory and Practice
- Missouri Attorney General’s Cup trial team competition, champion and best defense advocate, 2010
- Judge John W. Calhoun Trial Practice Award
- Washington University Wiley Rutledge Moot Court Competition, semi-finalist, 2011
- Second-chaired a weeklong jury trial in an insurance company’s business dispute among former partners.
- Briefed and argued a successful motion to dismiss a putative class action lawsuit against a municipal agency.
- Represented a ride-sharing company in a dispute with a local commission, participating in a four-day preliminary injunction hearing.
News & Insights
- CPSC revamps ‘regulatory robot’ to help small- and mid-size businesses spot product-safety requirementsImpact | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, November 16, 2018