- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Tax Court
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1984, Order of the Coif
B.A., Government and International Studies, University of Notre Dame, 1980
For health care systems, individual hospitals or large physician groups needing counsel on mergers and acquisitions, John Dillane is the attorney to call. His experience handling major transactions in the health care industry gives him a deep understanding of the dynamics involved in acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, joint operating agreements, tax-exempt bond issues and other transactions.
On behalf of health care institutions, John acts as a lead negotiator and adviser in matters including:
- The acquisition and divestiture of hospitals, ambulatory care facilities, multi-specialty physician group practices and managed care companies.
- The negotiation, establishment and termination of joint ventures between hospitals and physicians and between not-for-profit and for-profit companies.
- Advice concerning corporate structuring and governance.
- Advice concerning taxable and tax-exempt financing transactions, including tax-exempt bond issues, private debt placements, revolving credit facilities, commercial paper and derivatives such as interest rate swaps.
John is skilled in developing creative solutions, despite changes in law that have diminished the scope of physician-hospital partnership arrangements. In acquisitions, he has helped health systems to optimize their tax position and design novel transaction structures to allow clients to achieve their goals and comply with financial covenants.
His practice also includes the representation of various closely held businesses and their owners in mergers and acquisitions, financings, corporate planning, succession planning, tax-free exchanges of real estate, formations of partnerships, joint ventures and limited liability companies, and general corporate matters.
While practicing at Greensfelder, John has occasionally served on the adjunct faculty of Washington University in St. Louis as a legal writing instructor and as an adjunct professor of law teaching federal taxation of partnerships.
In addition to his representation of health care clients, John has been a highly respected leader at Greensfelder. He has previously served as a member of the board of directors and president of the firm, as well as interim CEO.
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Healthcare, 2022
- Missouri Lawyers Media ICON Award, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Attorney, 2018; Judicial Edition
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, Health Care Law, 2007-2023; St. Louis area Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year, 2019
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate Law, 2005-2006, 2012-2013
- Represented a health care system in several hospital acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented a health care system as borrower’s counsel in multiple issuances of tax-exempt bonds.
- Represented a health care system in the acquisition of a health maintenance organization.
- Represented a health system in the acquisition of a major multi-specialty physician practice.
- Represented a large multi-specialty physician group being acquired by a hospital system.
News & Insights
- Best Lawyers 2023 edition lists over 60 Greensfelder attorneys, including five St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 18, 2022
- June 1, 2022
- Best Lawyers 2022 Edition Lists 60 Greensfelder Attorneys, including Three St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 19, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- June 4, 2019
- April 2019
- August 2018
- August 20, 2013