- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1992
B.G.S., Personnel Administration, University of Kansas, 1989
Jill Luft represents employers in all aspects of employment law. She regularly defends employers in employment-related litigation in state and federal courts and provides proactive employment and human resources counseling to employers.
As an active member of law firm management, Jill is familiar with issues that owners and managers face in running a business. Jill served on Greensfelder’s Board of Directors from 2006 to 2015 and was a member of the firm’s Executive Committee of the Board from 2012-15. She is the firm's assistant general counsel for employment matters. Jill has also been the Employment & Labor Practice Group leader, chair of the Recruiting Committee, chair of the Nominating Committee for the Board of Directors, and chair of the Diversity Committee.
In her role as advisor, Jill provides legal counsel concerning compliance with employment laws such as Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and their state counterparts. She regularly guides her clients through the wide range of legal issues involved in employee recruiting, hiring, job classifications, promotions, transfers, demotions, discipline and terminations. She gives practical – and sometimes creative – answers to day-to-day human resources questions and prepares policies, employee handbooks, employment agreements, severance agreements as well as non-compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements for her clients.
Jill routinely addresses issues and provides solutions related to employee absences and medical leave management. She conducts independent investigations of employment-related complaints, and she also counsels employers on the handling of such investigations internally. Jill also has extensive experience guiding employers through reductions in force and complying with the WARN Act and ADEA requirements, when applicable.
Jill defends employers and management in charges of discrimination filed with EEOC and state human rights agencies across the country. She defends employers in lawsuits in state and federal courts, including class action litigation.
For many years, Jill has been EPL (employment practices liability) panel counsel for multiple insurance carriers.
She also advises institutions of higher education on investigation of student complaints and defends claims filed by students with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Defense Research Institute, Employment Law Committee
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2015-2016
- Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law, Labor Law, 2010-2019; St. Louis area Employment Law - Management Lawyer of the Year, 2017
- Best Lawyers' Women in the Law, 2017-18
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Attorney, 2003-18; Judicial Edition; Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor, 2005, 2010-2011, 2013-2018
- Negotiated settlement of federal and state wage and hour claims prior to threatened filing of class action litigation.
- Served as co-counsel in the representation of an employer and two supervisors in a lawsuit filed by two former employees alleging gender and age discrimination under the Missouri Human Rights Act. After a three-day jury trial, the jury returned unanimous verdicts in favor of all three defendants.
- Defeated a plaintiff’s motion for class certification in WARN Act class action litigation against regional retailer.
- Obtained summary judgment for a foundry and manufacturing company in a workers’ compensation retaliation lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment for a trucking company in a lawsuit filed by a former employee alleging discrimination.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a hospital in a lawsuit brought by a former employee asserting claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Successfully defended a retail store and obtained dismissal of lawsuit alleging of age and race discrimination brought by a terminated employee.
News & Insights
- August 15, 2019
- Interview with Jill Luft, "School showed no bias in firing teacher who failed to arrange post-ADA leave return"HR Dive, July 25, 2019
- Interview with Jill Luft, "Golden Corral pays $31K after firing worker for alleged unwillingness to manage seizure condition"HR Dive, April 30, 2019
- HR Dive, January 7, 2019
- November 2018
- October 15, 2018
- August 2018
- May 27, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "FMLA: Beyond the Basic"Client Seminar, July 30, 2019
- "FLSA Overtime Exemptions"Client Seminar, August 2016
- "Long Term Disability Claims Administration"Client Seminar, August 2016
- "The ADA and the Interactive Process"Client Seminar, December 2015
- “Tips for Curbing Employee Abuse of Intermittent FMLA Leave”2015 HRMA Legal Roundtable, February 2015
- "I'm Getting Written Up for Attendance? I think I need FMLA leave!"Client Seminar, January 2014
- "Tips for Immunizing the Workplace for Employment Maladies"Client Seminar, December 2013
- "An Ounce of Prevention: Immunizing the Workplace from Common Employer Mistakes"Client Seminar, June 2012
- "The Family and Medical Leave Act"Client Seminar, October 2010
- "Sexual Harassment: A California Perspective"Client Seminar, August 2009
- "Sexual Harassment: A Supervisor's Perspective"Client Seminar, February 2009
- "The Do's & Don'ts of Hiring & Firing"Client Seminar, April 2007
- "California Sexual Harassment Training"Client Seminar, November 2006
- "Common Mistakes Made by Employers that Lead to Litigation and Tips on How to Avoid Making Them"Client Seminar, February 2006
- "Sexual Harassment: A California Perspective"Client Seminar, January 2006
- "Overtime Considerations"Client Seminar, January 2006
- Smart Business Magazine, April 2009
- "Building a Reputation for Effective Negotiation"Resolving Employee Disputes & Litigation: Leading Lawyers on Best Practices for Negotiations and Minimizing Client Exposure, 2006
- Greensfelder Employment & Labor Newsletter, May 2012
- Greensfelder Employment & Labor Client Alert, September 2010
- "The Family and Medical Leave Act Final Regulations: What Employers Need to Know"Greensfelder Employment & Labor Newsletter, January 2009
- Greensfelder Employment & Labor Newsletter, August 2006
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , April 12, 2018
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , April 3, 2018
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , November 10, 2017
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , July 18, 2017
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , October 15, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , June 30, 2015