- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
LL.M., Intellectual Property, Washington University School of Law, 2011
J.D., Washington University School of Law, Global Studies Law Review, Associate Editor 2010
B.A., Political Science and English, Boston University, 2007
Jessica Mendez works with businesses to help develop and protect their trademarks and other intellectual property. She assists clients of all sizes in numerous industries including manufacturing, health care, technology, and food and beverage, helping them to maintain, enforce and defend their trademark rights. She also helps them protect other IP aspects of their brands including copyrights, domain names and other associated rights.
Jessica has extensive litigation experience in courts across the country, handling disputes involving patent infringement, copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, trade secret misappropriation, and unfair competition. She has significant experience representing clients in proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also handles drafting and negotiating agreements, including license agreements, coexistence agreements, and co-branding agreements.
For start-up and small businesses, Jessica helps protect their intellectual property through agreements, appropriate registrations, and practical policies and procedures. She is a member of the firm’s Cortex team and participates in presentations aimed at helping small businesses learn about protecting intellectual property assets.
- International Trademark Association
- Missouri Bar, Diversity Committee Chair, 2014-16
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Young Lawyers Division Chair, 2015-16; Minorities in the Legal Profession, Chair, 2014-15; Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Section, Steering Committee, 2013-present
- Hispanic Bar Association of St. Louis, President Emeritus
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Deputy Vice President of Programs
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, General Counsel
- Volunteer Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Patent Attorneys, St. Louis Small Business Monthly, 2018
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014-18
- Top Lawyer Under 40, Hispanic National Bar Association, 2017
- Emerging Hispanic Leader of the Year, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, 2017
- Women’s Justice Rising Star Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2016
- 30 Under 30, St. Louis Business Journal, 2014
- Managed foreign and domestic trademark portfolio of more than 400 trademarks for U.S.-based original equipment manufacturer.
- Successfully handle proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board for clients ranging in size and industry from local breweries to a Fortune 500 personal care corporation.
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement in a case involving trademarks for pet care products and represented the client on appeal before the Eighth Circuit where the judgment was affirmed.
- Secured a favorable settlement after cross-motions for summary judgment for a multibillion-dollar health care provider in litigation over infringement of the client’s house mark by a large insurance brokerage firm.
- Won a jury verdict of over $2 million in a case involving infringement of an airport screening system used to detect explosives and narcotics; during pretrial motions, crafted Daubert motions resulting in the exclusion of the defendant’s non-infringement experts.
- Served as lead counsel for a Markman hearing in a matter involving telemedicine technology.
- Won a complete defense verdict in a software copyright infringement trial; during pretrial evidentiary motions, crafted Daubert motions successfully limiting the damages expert testimony and reducing the clients’ liability exposure by approximately $2 million.
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement in a case involving software patents and represented the client on appeal before the Federal Circuit, where the judgment was affirmed.
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Can You Keep a Secret? Comparing the DTSA and UTSA"DRI Intellectual Property Conference, Denver, Colorado, April 2018
- "2016 Trademark Year in Review"Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, January 2017
- "Trademarks and the Constitution: Does the First Amendment Protect Disparaging Trademarks?"Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Convention, Chicago, Illinois, September 2016
- "8th Circuit and Federal Circuit Trademark Review"Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, December 2013
- "Computer Tampering: Protecting Important Assets and Information"Missouri Bar Tech Law Expo, St. Charles, Missouri, October 2013
- "Generic Top-Level Domains: Protecting Trademarks Through the Trademark Clearinghouse"Missouri Bar Tech Law Expo, St. Charles, Missouri, October 2013
- "Fundamental Intellectual Property Strategies: What Every Start-Up Needs to Know About Intellectual Property"Entrepreneurship Seminar at Downtown T-REX, St. Louis, Missouri, May 2013
- DRI Defense Library Series: Remedies in Intellectual Property Cases, July 2018
- "Knock It Off: Counterfeit Goods and the Building Blocks of an Effective Brand Protection Program"St. Louis Bar Journal, Spring 2017