J.D., University of Miami, cum laude, 1978, University of Miami Law Review
B.A., University of Michigan, 1975, High Distinction
Tax laws are constantly changing, and Jay Nathanson’s extensive experience in tax advice and controversy matters equips him to counsel clients on those complexities, along with other corporate issues.
Jay handles matters related to corporate tax planning, mergers and acquisitions, corporate law and tax controversy work. As a member of the firm’s business services group, he frequently assists with large mergers and acquisitions by specifically handling the tax aspects of the transaction. In his tax controversy work, he represents clients in audits or appeals related to audit disputes.
His depth of knowledge in tax issues originated early in his career, working briefly for the IRS and for several years as a trial attorney for the Tax Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. With his experience in the government sector, Jay has a valuable understanding of how to handle IRS-related matters.
For 25 years, he has been an adjunct faculty member in the LL.M. taxation program at Washington University School of Law in St. Louis. He teaches a course on the differences in tax considerations between business entity types. In addition, he has frequently written and lectured on corporate and taxation topics for organizations including the Missouri Bar Association, the National Business Institute and the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis.
Jay is a member of the firm’s Board of Directors.
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- American College of Tax Counsel, fellow, 2013 to present
- The Missouri Bar Association, Taxation Law Committee, former vice chair
- St. Louis County Economic Council; Business Outreach Committee, 1999-2003
- Mid-America Tax Conference, Board of Directors, Secretary, 1998-2003; Chairman, 2003
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri, LL.M. Taxation Program, Adjunct Faculty, 1990-present
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, Tax Law; St. Louis area Tax Law Lawyer of the Year, 2017
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Tax
- U.S. Department of Justice, Outstanding Trial Attorney, 1981
News & Insights
- QSR Magazine, January 2018
- May 13, 2013
- Jay Nathanson details business strategies to adapt to new tax laws in the St. Louis Business JournalFebruary 8, 2013
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- “The Fiscal Cliff and the New Medicare Tax on Investment Income”Tax Section of the Missouri Bar Meeting, November 16, 2012
- “Current U.S. Tax Policy Considerations”Masters in Business Administration Program at Maryville University, February 7, 2011
- “Issues, Trends & Perspectives in Commercial Law – Workouts & Alternatives to Bankruptcy”The Missouri Bar, St. Louis, Missouri, August 20, 2009
- “Tax Issues in Workouts and Foreclosures”The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, April 7, 2009
- “Limited Liability Companies, Use LLCs as a Framework for Success, Fully Using Tax Advantages”National Business Institute, Clayton, Missouri, April 28, 2008
- "Choice of Entity, 19th Estate Planning Annual Institute: Hairy Estate Plans and the Deathly Income Tax!”The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, April 24, 2008
- “Limited Liability Companies-Fully Using Tax Advantages Part II”National Business Institute, Clayton, Missouri, April 4, 2007
- “Introduction to Considerations Relative to Choice of Entity for Conducting a Business or Profession, Holding Investments, or Planning for Mergers and Acquisitions”Masters in Business Administration Program at Maryville University, 2007
- “Is an LLC Right for You?”Lorman Education Services, Clayton, Missouri, October 16, 2006
- “Fundamentals of Acquisition Transactions in Missouri”Lorman Education Services, Clayton, Missouri, August 11, 2006
- “Fundamentals of Acquisition Transactions in Kansas”Lorman Education Services, Lenexa, Kansas, December 8, 2005
- Following the 2017 Tax Act, changes will be required in tax planning for businesses, including choice of entity considerationsFebruary 2018
- Be prepared to update LLC operating agreements and partnership agreements to comply with new partnership audit rulesApril 2017
- Journal of the Missouri Bar, September-October 2009
- “How to Deal with the Tax Consequences of a Debtor Workout”Smart Business, Vol. 2, No. 3, Page 22, March 2009