- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, magna cum laude, 1998
M.B.A., City University of Seattle, 1992
B.S., Central Washington University, 1989
Greg Mollett is a commercial litigator and the co-leader of the firm’s litigation practice group. His practice includes extensive experience in real estate and environmental litigation.
Commercial litigation: Greg has counseled franchisors and franchisees in forming, structuring, negotiating and implementing franchise relationships. As a litigator, Greg has represented both franchisors and franchisees in arbitrations as well as state and federal court litigation.
He has represented businesses in complex tort, contract, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, non-competition, restrictive covenant, licensing, UCC sales, Magnuson-Moss warranty claims, stock transfer disputes, asset sale disputes and shareholder litigation. He has represented small start-up companies, regional companies and Fortune 250 corporations. His commercial practice is regional in scope, and he has brought and defended suits in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Arkansas, Kansas and Iowa.
As a former insurance professional, Greg has extensive professional experience in insurance coverage, fraud, bad faith and vexatious refusal matters. He has represented insurance carriers, insured parties, agents and brokers and has handled fraud, negligent misrepresentation, breach of contract and negligence cases. Greg also holds the CPCU designation, earned from the American Institute of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters in 1995.
In addition to litigating cases, he advises business clients on general business and commercial law. Greg has an MBA and has lectured on business law at the University of Illinois.
Real estate: Greg represents and counsels real estate developers, property owners, tenants, brokers and property managers.
He has litigated condemnation, inverse condemnation, partition, purchase and sale, title defect, quiet title, contract for deed, adverse possession, prescriptive easement, strict way of necessity, foreclosure, lien and residential and commercial landlord/tenant cases such as rent and possession, unlawful detainer and forcible entry and detainer.
Environmental: Greg has extensive experience in CERCLA and RCRA litigation and private party liability allocation. He has negotiated Administrative Orders on Consent and response to Unilateral Administrative Orders. His environmental practice has included representation of small and medium-size companies, not-for-profit corporations and large industrial and commercial clients such as those in the petroleum refining, secondary aluminum and primary zinc manufacturing industries.
Greg has investigated and brought claims for underground storage tank liability and has experience defending clients from environmental and toxic tort allegations, such as environmental nuisance, environmental trespass, negligence, strict liability and medical monitoring.
He has coordinated emergency response for environmental releases to the air, soil, surface water, ground water and navigable waters. He counsels with regard to spill reporting, hazardous waste releases, stop work orders, compliance response plans and evidence preservation.
Greg has represented clients before regulatory and enforcement bodies and has responded to Notices of Violation in Missouri, Illinois, California, Utah, Indiana, Alabama and Pennsylvania as well as responding to investigations by the Missouri DNR, Massachusetts DEP, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Indiana Department of Environmental Management and EPA Regions 5, 7 and 9.
He assists national and regional companies recognize, treat and respond to the risks and exposures arising under California Proposition 65.
Greg has counseled clients and resolved environmental disputes arising from contamination connected with Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations and coal mining under the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act and the Illinois Surface Coal Mining Land Conservation and Reclamation Act.
He has experience with the Federal Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act as well as enforcement proceedings under each. In addition to litigating liability issues, Greg has advised clients regarding criminal penalties, civil penalties and debarment.
Greg has served as outside environmental counsel to an international company with environmental exposures in all 50 states, Europe and Asia.
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Institute of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters
- Crime Victim Advocacy Center, former board member
- Chairman of Board Executives, USO of Missouri
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024, Litigation – Environmental, 2023-2024
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, Best Attorneys, 2021
- Defense of class action brought under Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA).
- Successfully defended $100 million CERCLA contribution action.
- Counseled clients receiving CERCLA investigation notices, threats of unilateral administrative orders (UAOs) and potentially responsible party (PRP) contribution demands.
- Lead counsel for $150 million private environmental damage reallocation arbitration.
- Successfully brought diminution in value suit based on sub-surface contamination from leaking underground storage tank (LUST) site.
- Successfully defeated multiple diminution in value suits based on sub-surface contamination from leaking underground storage tank (LUST) site.
- Counseled several large retail clients concerning cease and desist, notice of violation and state enforcement proceedings arising from alleged violation of asbestos National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) regulations.
- Served as national environmental counsel for international company. Coordinated emergency response for environmental issues across 49 states. Handled notice of violation (NOV) response and environmental enforcement proceedings before state departments of natural resources and U.S. EPA.
- Successfully defended multiple clients receiving Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) notice of violations and facing judicial enforcement.
- Successfully defended class action suit based on alleged violations of the Clean Water Act.
- Defeated claim by former owner in multi-million-dollar shareholder dispute.
- Successfully prosecuted multi-million-dollar commercial breach of contract dispute concerning use, licensing and intellectual property.
- Secured insurance coverage from multiple commercial insurers under employment practices liability insurance (EPLI) and directors & officers (D&O) policies.
- Secured insurance coverage for commercial transportation company facing claim denial.
- Secured favorable jury verdict in warehouse and logistics dispute.
- Successfully defended before a jury allegations of fraudulent conduct under the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended suits for partition of commercial, recreational and industrial properties.
- Successfully defeated suits involving adverse possession and boundary line disputes between adjoining farmland owners.
- Successfully tried to a jury a dispute among neighboring property owners over water rights, erosion, trespass and nuisance.
- Successfully litigated office, industrial and commercial real property tax appeals.
- Successfully litigated commercial personal property ad valorem tax appeal for a large regional retail corporation.
- Successfully represented a university facing NCAA investigation.
- Obtained trial verdict for a university in real estate boundary, permissible use and alleged waste to property matter.
News & Insights
- August 17, 2023
- Best Lawyers 2023 edition lists over 60 Greensfelder attorneys, including five St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 18, 2022
- Best Lawyers 2022 Edition Lists 60 Greensfelder Attorneys, including Three St. Louis ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 19, 2021
- Congratulations to Greg Mollett on making St. Louis Small Business Monthly’s Best Attorneys list for 2021August 10, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- Interview with Greg Mollett, "Will the virus get you out of your commercial lease? It's complicated, St. Louis lawyers say"St. Louis Business Journal, March 27, 2020
- August 2019
- November 22, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Real Estate, Construction and Asbestos"NALP Annual Meeting, June 2012
- "Environmental and Regulatory Aspects of Asbestos in Commercial Real Estate"National Business Institute, May 2012
- "Advanced Issues in Real Estate Law"National Business Institute, April 2012
- "Types of Real Estate Litigation"National Business Institute, March 2011
- "Ethical Responsibilities in Environmental Matters"Environmental Conference at the Lake of the Ozarks, July 2010
- "Real Estate Litigation in Missouri"National Business Institute, February 1, 2010
- "Litigation of Real Estate Cases"National Business Institute, February 1, 2009
- Trusts & Estates, March 2020
- April 22, 2020
- April 13, 2020
- April 3, 2020
- April 2, 2020
- March 25, 2020