- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1986
M.Arch., University of Illinois, 1978
B.S., Architectural Studies, University of Illinois, 1976, Honors
George (Skip) Uhl dedicates his practice to representing construction industry clients, including contractors, subcontractors, owners, architects and engineers. As a former professional architect, his experience on the legal and design sides of the construction business brings a depth of knowledge to his work.
Skip handles complex litigation, mediations and arbitrations concerning construction and engineering problems, as well as the preparation, enforcement and defense of mechanic's liens. On the transactional side, he prepares and reviews fixed-sum, cost-plus, design-build and construction management contract documents. He has experience negotiating and drafting purchase order agreements, joint venture agreements and real estate transaction documents.
As a licensed architect in Missouri and Illinois, Skip has extensive work experience and education in design, engineering and construction. He worked as an architect on projects including a mid-rise office tower in London, England, for GMW Partnership in London; a university in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; housing design and residential master planning near Reno, Nevada; a cruise missile manufacturing facility for Boeing near Seattle; and county prison, police and court facilities in Breckenridge, Colorado, and St. Charles, Missouri. His experience includes architectural and structural engineering work on several remodeling and rehabilitation projects.
Skip speaks on construction law topics to many clients and organizations, including to the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects on issues and pitfalls in construction and design contracts, as a guest instructor on construction contracts for the Association of General Contractors and an evening instructor at a community college on preparation of construction documents.
- American Bar Association, Public Contract and Construction Law Sections
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois Bar Association
- States of Missouri and Illinois, Registered Architect
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- St. Clair County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Construction/Surety, 2005-2010
- Prosecution of claims arising from loss of several cofferdams and a trestle during construction of a major bridge across the Mississippi River. The case concerned complex technical issues regarding the bridge and cofferdam construction engineering, damages and impacts on the schedule.
- Defense of, and the successful settlement of, a claim against a design/build subcontractor for negligent design and/or construction of a hot and cold water piping system installed in a hotel. The piping developed pinholes and pitting.
- Prosecution of claims arising from a tank lining failure and replacement for a chemical company. Case concerned the failure of a newly installed liner on a caustic chemical tank and involved technical, contract and surety issues.
- Prosecution of claims involving the failure of an engineered slope.
- Prosecution of a claim against a steel manufacturer involving a brittle fracture of a steel product used in heavy construction.
- Prosecution and defense of claims involving the construction of two similar restaurants.
- Defense of a variety of large claims by a general contractor and several of its subcontractors against housing authorities.
- Prosecution of claims arising from construction of an extension to a light rail system.
- Consultation, analysis and settlement of claims regarding the design and manufacture of industrial equipment installed in mining facilities in the United States, South Africa and Taiwan.
- Prosecution of claims for a regional midwest hospital concerning construction, design and manufacturing issues regarding windows and precast cladding.
- Defense of claims regarding the design of the ventilation for tunnels and underground stations, track traction, power and the overhead catenary system for a metropolitan light rail system.
- Prosecution of claims regarding construction of an overhead catenary system for a metropolitan light rail system.
- Prosecution of claims regarding defective design and construction of exterior walls on an assisted living facility.
- Prosecution of claims concerning the design of electrical underground feeders below a major data center.
- Defeat of an unconstitutional stormwater tax against a major sewer district.
- Prosecution and defense of various delay and construction defect claims against private and public entities.
- Other past and present case experience includes representing clients in various disputes, including insurance, surety, code compliance and construction issues for a motel, various mechanic's lien claims, including an automobile plant and aircraft manufacturing facility, a defective single-ply roofing failure claim, and a minority shareholder suit between officer/owners of a telecommunications company.
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Factors to Consider, How to Improve Your Chance for a Favorable Verdict, Limit Your Risk, and Improve Your Settlement PositionJune 7, 2016
- Hot Topics in Construction LawApril 5, 2014
- “Legal Aspects of Design Build for Engineers”Engineers Club Seminar, 2013
- "How to Prevent The Potential Hazards of Green Design"Lorman Educational Services, 2008
- "Illinois Construction Lien Law"Lorman Educational Services, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006
- Nuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, February 22, 2017