- Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- Privacy & Data Security
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, cum laude, 1981, Saint Louis University Law Journal, research editor; Saint Louis University Public Law Review, co-founding editor, editor-in-chief
A.B., Saint Louis University, 1978
Drawing on decades of experience in commercial and government litigation, Erwin (Erv) Switzer has deep knowledge of areas of law including consumer protection issues, governmental regulatory affairs and the appeals process. As the firm’s general counsel, he also advises on legal ethics on behalf of the firm and for outside clients.
For 11 years, Erv served as chief counsel in the Office of the Missouri Attorney General. There, he led litigation on matters including the Merchandising Practices Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, trade and securities regulations, antitrust compliance, civil rights, First Amendment law and taxation in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout Missouri. He was involved in dozens of high-profile matters, including the relocation of the Rams to St. Louis, representation of the Missouri Commissioner of Securities and Secretary of State, and litigation resulting in a ban against the sale of ephedra products in Missouri.
Erv frequently represents businesses facing consumer protection class action claims related to pricing and disclosure issues. In addition to handling the litigation aspect of such complaints, he guides clients through a proactive approach of reviewing consumer sales forms to make sure they comply with regulations, lessening the risk of future liability.
With his prosecutorial and government experience, Erv is well-positioned to conduct special investigations or serve as independent counsel, monitor or special committee member. He was appointed by the Federal Trade Commission to serve as a monitor and administrator of a consent decree in an antitrust case, giving the federal agency an experienced independent monitor for the matter at more affordable Midwest rates.
Erv has also handled matters involving defense of attorney general investigations, student lending practices, deceptive advertising claims, Internet domain names and drafting legislation. He is co-chair of Greensfelder’s appellate practice section and has briefed and argued dozens of appellate cases in state and federal courts, making him a knowledgeable resource for clients seeking new counsel or a second opinion during an appeal.
Erv has significant community and leadership experience and has made mentorship of younger colleagues a priority throughout his career.
- Appellate Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee, Secretary, 2008-2016
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Board of Governors, 2003-2009
- St. Louis Bar Foundation, Board of Governors, 2003-2006
- American Bar Association Antitrust Section, Consumer Protection Committee Leadership Group member
- Editor of the State Law chapter for the American Bar Association’s Consumer Protection Law Developments (2nd edition, 2016)
- Nerinx Hall High School, President’s Council, 2019-present
- Military Legal Assistance Team Advisory Board, Missouri Attorney General’s Office, 2017-18
- Citizen Advisory Committee, City of St. Louis police chief search, 2017
- Missouri Technology Corporation Board of Directors, 2017-present
- St. Louis Board of Election Commissioners, chairman, 2016-17
- Sue Shear Institute for Women in Public Life, Advisory Board, 2013-19
- City of St. Louis, Board of Police Commissioners, 2012-2013
- Governor's Council on Disability, 2009-2012
- Bankruptcy Practice Memorial Fund, Governing Board, 2006-2010
- FOCUS St. Louis, Board of Directors, 2003-2009
- Paraquad, Board of Directors, 1995-2007
- St. Louis Library Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2002-2006
- St. Louis Public Library, Board of Directors, 1994-2006; President, 1998-2002
- Tossed ceremonial "first pitch” at St. Louis Cardinals game, August 23, 2000
- Leadership St. Louis, Class of 1996-1997
- St. Louis Housing Authority, 1989-1994; Chair, 1991-1993
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, Future Star, 2015-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, Government Relations Law, 2007-2020; St. Louis area Government Relations Practice Lawyer of the Year, 2018
- St. Louis Bar Foundation, Spirit of Justice Award, 2014
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Consumer Law, 2009-2018
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, President's Award, 2002, 2008
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Mentor Award, 2015
- Represents clients in class actions involving pricing issues or disclosure issues.
- Represents clients in licensing and investigation matters before various government agencies, including the Attorney General’s Office, Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions & Professional Registration and the Department of Social Services.
- Defends and prosecutes false advertising claims, including on behalf of a large retail chain.
- For the state of Missouri, prosecuted a consumer fraud case against the operator of a purported charity, obtaining judgment of guilty of all counts.
- For the state of Missouri, prosecuted the Second Injury Fund civil RICO suit, leading to recovery of more than $1 million and referenced in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as one of its 125 most important stories in its 125-year history.
News & Insights
- August 15, 2019
- November 2018
- Interview with Erv Switzer, "Law Firm GCs Grapple With #MeToo, Cybersecurity and Social Media"Bloomberg BNA, October 31, 2018
- October 15, 2018
- August 2018
- Erv Switzer appointed to advisory board of Missouri attorney general’s Military Legal Assistance TeamDecember 11, 2017
- October 2017
- May 25, 2017
- January 2017
- ABC 30 St. Louis, September 13, 2016
- September 7, 2016
- Congratulations to Erv Switzer, recognized in the Mentor category at Missouri Lawyers Weekly's Up & Coming AwardsAugust 3, 2015
- September 3, 2014
- June 3, 2013
- Congratulations to Erv Switzer on his appointment by Gov. Jay Nixon to the St. Louis City Board of Police CommissionersOctober 2, 2012
- Erv Switzer tapped to compile state consumer protection laws nationwide for American Bar Association publicationMarch 2, 2012
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Corporate Counsel Institute, St. Louis, MO, May 15, 2019
- "A Template for In-House Cyber-Security Training"AON Law Firm Symposium for General Counsels, Chicago, Illinois, October 11, 2018
- "Sports & Law: A Game of Rules – Implications for Legal Ethics"Bench & Bar Conference, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Lake Ozark, Missouri, May 31-June 2, 2017
- "The Saga of the St. Louis Thread Company: An Ethical Comedy in Four Acts"Corporate Counsel Institute, St. Louis, Missouri, May 18, 2017
- Moderator, "Appellate Judges Roundtable"Missouri Bar Annual Meeting, 2009-2010, 2012-2018
- Appellate Practice, Bench & Bar ConferenceBar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, 2009 - 2013, 2015
- "In-House Counsel Ethical Obligation"2014
- "Preventing Lawsuits and Violations in Advertising and Promotions"National Business Institute, 2008
- "How to Respond to a Government Investigation"Association of Corporate Counsel, St. Louis Chapter and Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, 2008
- "Antitrust and the Roberts' Supreme Court"Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, 2008
- January 2018
- Consumer Protection Law Developments, American Bar Association2011, 2013, 2015 Editions
- "What Can the Court Do? Evaluating Your Appeal"St. Louis Business Journal, Summer 2009
- "How to Respond to Government Investigations"Missouri Lawyers Weekly, June 2008
- “Top Court Opinions of the Year"St. Louis Daily Record/Countian, 2004 - 2006
- “The Success of the Missouri Model: Aggressive Litigation at the State Level Protects Consumers and Prevents Unfair Trade Practices"ABA's Antitrust Magazine, reprinted ABA State Antitrust Committee Newsletter, October 2004, ABA Unfair Trade Practices Magazine, November 2004, and Business Torts Journal, Spring 2005, July 2004
- Greensfelder Litigation Practice Group Newsletter, May 2008
- Greensfelder Litigation Practice Group Newsletter, October 2007