- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, magna cum laude, 2000
B.A., Political Science, University of North Texas, 1997
As a trial lawyer, David Ybarra knows first-hand how frustrating and disruptive litigation can be for business, particularly when there are disconnects among risk tolerance, likely outcomes for success and the cost to pursue solutions. Clients recognize David’s strengths and genuine interest in aligning litigation strategy to what is in the best interest for the short and long-term needs of an organization. His strengths extend well beyond technical legal expertise and require a level of straight talk to help clients have the courage to pursue the best approach.
David has tried numerous cases in Illinois and Missouri, including toxic tort, construction, premises liability and general commercial litigation. He has successfully briefed appeals before the Illinois Supreme Court, Fifth District Illinois Court of Appeals and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
He has first-chaired several trials, including on behalf of a national manufacturer in an asbestos case in Madison County, Illinois, in 2010. After seven days of trial, his client was dismissed from the case. David’s work in that case resulted in him being retained as counsel for a national auto manufacturer for a significant portion of its asbestos litigation in Illinois and Missouri.
As counsel for multiple defendants in asbestos litigation pending in Madison, St. Clair, and Cook County, Illinois, as well as St. Louis, Missouri, he is responsible for all aspects of defending cases, including significant motion practice, discovery issues, defending and taking expert witness depositions and negotiating case resolutions. He also trains and mentors new associates who assist with toxic tort litigation. David also invests and prioritizes training and mentoring new associates and is a former member of the firm's Board of Directors.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Hispanic National Bar Association
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Who's Who Diversity in Color, 2015
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellows Program, 2011 - 2012
- Illinois Leading Lawyers – Product Liability Defense, Toxic Tort Defense
- Toxic Tort. Represented a national brake and muffler manufacturer in an asbestos case in Madison County, Illinois. After seven days of trial, which included significant pre-trial motion practice, opening statements, and cross examination of several expert witnesses, his client was dismissed from the case.
- Premises Liability. Obtained a defense verdict in a premises liability action in St. Clair County, Illinois, and summary judgment in Wabash County, Illinois.
- Construction Litigation. Obtained a favorable defense verdict in a breach-of-contract case against a general contractor for alleged construction defects in Madison County, Illinois.
- Health Care Litigation. Obtained summary judgment for hospital administrators in an action alleging disclosure of confidential health information in Jackson County, Illinois.
- Commercial Litigation. Obtained a favorable result in the Illinois Supreme Court in an action alleging spoliation of evidence against an insurance company.
- Commercial Litigation. Obtained a defense verdict in a breach-of-contract lawsuit in St. Clair County, Illinois.
- Commercial Litigation. Obtained a very favorable settlement in a negligence claim resulting in a meaningful payment for the client.