- Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- Employee Benefits
- Employment & Labor
- Intellectual Property
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois - Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1989
- Liacos Scholar
- Hennessey Scholar
B.A., Brandeis University, cum laude, 1986
For clients, the stress of being involved in litigation calls for an accessible, knowledgeable attorney. David Goodman — who grew up used to all-hours phone calls as the son of an obstetrician — considers it a priority to be responsive and direct with clients. His breadth of experience in court gives him a distinctive ability to assist clients facing difficult situations and advise others on how to avoid legal issues.
The experience David has as a first-chair trial lawyer gives him the knowledge to help clients manage risk and avoid litigation, whether they are entrepreneurs or large corporations. And when litigation is unavoidable, he works with the client to achieve an aggressive and pragmatic resolution.
David, the managing officer of Greensfelder’s Chicago office, represents clients in federal, state and appellate courts throughout the country, as well as in arbitrations and mediations. A significant part of his practice focuses on insurance coverage, working on behalf of policyholders to help them harness the value from their policies, enforce their rights and recover defense costs. He also handles a broad spectrum of commercial disputes, including those relating to LLC members, shareholders and partnerships; business fraud; restrictive covenants; unfair competition; false advertising; and trade secret litigation.
His experience also includes matters of environmental litigation, consumer fraud and professional negligence. In addition to his litigation work, David counsels businesses on employment disputes and contracts, severance agreements and EEOC and internal investigations.
A frequent speaker, David has addressed professionals on topics including privileged communications, restrictive covenants and internal investigations. He is committed to the development of new legal professionals and has served as the chair of the litigation department of a mid-sized Chicago law firm, managed summer associate programs for law students and has served on several associate development and continuing legal education committees.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, 2015-2017
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2015-2018
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, 2011-2015
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar insurance payout for a chemical manufacturing client. The client had a portfolio of insurance, but the insurer had denied a claim. The client needed to harvest the value from the insurance and opted to sell back the coverage, which limited future risk and resulted in a welcome cash inflow for the company. We induced the insurer to pay $14 million to the client, infusing them with needed financial resources and terminating the insurance company’s future obligations.
- Helped a manufacturer of specialized steel auto parts recover money that an OEM had refused to pay as owed under contract terms.
News & Insights
- October 2017
- Insurance Business, November 15, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- NAW Spring 2016 Billion Dollar HR Roundtable, May 4, 2016
- "Internal Investigations: Getting It Right While Getting the Facts"Association of Corporate Counsel, May 2015
- "Great Expectations or Bleak House: Protecting Client Communications to Avoid Ending Up in a Dickens of a Situation"Association of Corporate Counsel, January 2015
- Westlaw Journal Insurance Coverage, February 3, 2017
- IP Litigator, July/August 2015
- "Advertising Litigation: Squeezing Infringement Claims within 'Advertising Injury' to Obtain Insurance Coverage"IP Litigator, May 2015
- "Managing the Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Doctrine: Considerations for In-House Counsel"February 10, 2015
- Making the click stick: Decision clarifies what is required for consent to terms embedded in a websiteIMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, April 6, 2016
- Whether Illinois has a ‘bright-line’ rule for adequacy of consideration in non-competes just got a bit hazierIMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, March 16, 2016
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, March 11, 2016
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, February 23, 2016
- Understanding your rights under your insurance policy: You do not have to wait for a coverage decision before you settle a claimIMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, January 20, 2016
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, December 28, 2015
- The cyber threat from within: The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act as a weapon against theft of confidential information by departing employeesIMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, July 15, 2015
- Insurance against being wrongly sued: The duty to defend even when extrinsic facts suggest no coverageIMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, July 8, 2015
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, July 6, 2015
- Inadequate Consideration of the Adequacy of “Consideration” is an Avoidable Impediment to Enforceable Non-CompetesIMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, February 17, 2015
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, October 13, 2014
- Get What You Deserve When The Insurer Reserves Its Right to Deny Your Claim: A Policyholder's Right to Independent CounselIMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, August 6, 2014
- When Forever Became Whenever: (A "Do It Yourself" Contract's Defective Termination Clause Permits an Early Exit)IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, July 14, 2014