- Supreme Court of the State of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2011
B.S., University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2005
Ben Rotman provides practical legal solutions that help companies and inventors protect their innovations and grow their business. His practice encompasses a range of intellectual property matters, including IP portfolio development and management, patent and trademark prosecution, availability searches and clearance opinions, copyright registration, internet domain disputes, and online enforcement actions.
Ben’s experience extends across numerous industries, including medical devices, electro-mechanical devices, consumer products, toys, clothing, food and beverage products, as well as emerging CBD and cannabis-related products.
With a background in mechanical engineering, Ben offers legal advice backed by an extensive scientific and technical knowledge base. He has worked in fields including mechanical and electro-mechanical component and assembly design, and service design. He was also involved in product development, project prototyping, finite element analysis, materials analysis and research, design of experiments, tolerance analysis, statistical analysis and intellectual property development.
Before joining Greensfelder, Ben worked at a Chicago-area law firm where he prepared U.S. and foreign trademark and patent prosecution and managed IP portfolios for clients. During his years working as a senior mechanical engineer, Ben worked with engineering teams to design and deliver compelling mobile devices and DROID smartphones.
Outside of the office, Ben supports various community foundations and provides pro-bono work to the Chicago Kent Patent Hub. There, he helps inventors secure access to patent prosecution services. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has honored Ben for his various pro-bono contributions.
- Deerfield Parks Foundation, Chairperson, January 2022 – present; board member, April 2018 – present
- The Aarush M. Patel Foundation for maternal fetal medicine and support, board member, October 2021 – present
- Chicago Kent Patent Hub, board member
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts, volunteer
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2020-2022