- Employee Benefits
- Employment & Labor
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, magna cum laude, 2001
B.A., Murray State University, 1998, Valedictorian/Outstanding Senior Woman
Amy Blaisdell has represented employers nationwide in the defense of employment and employee benefits litigation, including in the United States Supreme Court.
Amy focuses her practice on highly regulated industries including health care, the securities industry and banking. Understanding the specific regulatory framework in which these businesses operate enables her to give comprehensive guidance to her clients.
In her securities practice, Amy has defended nationwide class action filed against brokerage firms involving wage and hour matters. She also regularly defends brokerage firms in arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, including claims alleging wrongful termination of brokers and Form U5 defamation.
As part of her health care practice, she has defended hundreds of ERISA lawsuits, including class actions.
Another focus of Amy’s practice is absence and leave management, an area of increasing importance for employers. She is a frequent presenter on employment and employee benefits topics. Amy also provides practical day-to-day human resources and employee benefits advice and drafts handbooks and various employment agreements. She trains employers on topics including discrimination and harassment, management of employee absence and compliance with the ADA, FMLA, FLSA and other laws.
Amy is a member of the firm’s Board of Directors.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2018-2019
- Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star, 2018-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law – Management, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2016-2020
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor, 2010-2011
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, "Up & Coming," 2009
- Represented Advocate Health Care Network before the U.S. Supreme Court in Advocate Health Care Network et al. v. Stapleton et al., a high-profile case involving the interpretation of ERISA’s “church plan” definition. The case resulted in a unanimous June 5, 2017, decision in favor of Advocate and two other religiously affiliated hospitals.
- Defending a religious health care network and employees in a putative class action lawsuit challenging the pension plan's status as a church plan exempt from ERISA.
- Defended a health care network in two putative class action lawsuits filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri alleging failure to pay for overtime under federal Fair Labor Standards Act and Missouri law. The cases were resolved on favorable terms for client through settlement.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an long-term disability plans in multiple lawsuits alleging wrongful denial of benefits under ERISA.
- Defended a country club and individual club members against ERISA claims for benefits, breach of fiduciary duty, and interference with protected rights, and multiple state law claims. Obtained summary judgment in all seven counts based on the ultimate finding that a deferred compensation plan and an employment agreement plan were “top-hat” plans and, thus, not subject to ERISA.
News & Insights
- August 15, 2019
- Healthcare Risk Management, June 2019
- April 2019
- October 15, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- May 3, 2018
- Interview with Amy Blaisdell, “Missouri Lawyers Award recipient says defending case before Supreme Court a team effort”St. Louis Record, December 28, 2017
- December 18, 2017
- June 9, 2017
- June 5, 2017
- Congratulations to Amy Blaisdell, Vanessa Keith and Tracy Ring, St. Louis Magazine Excellence in Law finalistsAugust 30, 2016
- December 16, 2015
- Crain's Benefits Outlook, June 22, 2015
- Fox2News, March 31, 2015
- Interview with Amy Blaisdell, "Illinois law protects pregnant women and new moms at work"KSDK-TV, January 5, 2015
- Interview with Amy Blaisdell, "Illinois enacts Pregnancy Fairness Law, making pregnancy a protected status for all companies"Inside Counsel, January 5, 2015
- Illinois Business Journal, December 2014
- KMOX Radio, December 2014
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "FMLA: Beyond the Basic"Client Seminar, July 30, 2019
- DRI's Life, Health, Disability, and ERISA Seminar, Chicago, IL, April 3, 2019
- November 30, 2016
- October 16, 2013
- Employment & Labor Webinar: Absence, Leave and Disability Management: A Roadmap to Improve Your Leave Program and Enhance Compliance with State & Federal LawOctober 17, 2012
- Employment & Labor Seminar - Developments & Trends in Employment and Labor Law, Common Employer Mistakes and How to Avoid ThemSeptember 16, 2010
- Westlaw Journal Employment, July 16, 2019
- Southern Business Journal, May 5, 2015
- Illinois Business Journal, December 15, 2014
- Becker's Hospital Review, April 10, 2013
- Westlaw Journal Employment, March 6, 2013
- Defense Research Institute's ERISA Report, Vol. 5, Issue 2, December 29, 2010
- "When the Exception Swallows the Rule - The Church Plan Exception to ERISA"The Voice, July 21, 2010
- Greensfelder Employment & Labor Newsletter, Fall 2009
- "The Family and Medical Leave Act Final Regulations: What Employers Need to Know"Greensfelder Employment & Labor Newsletter, January 2009
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , January 12, 2018
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , November 10, 2017
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , October 12, 2017
- Plans, Perks & Pay | Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Blog, January 18, 2017
- New labor guidance clarifies FLSA independent contractor analysis, suggesting most workers are employeesSimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , July 15, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , June 30, 2015
- U.S. Supreme Court Creates New Standard For Evaluating Pregnancy-Related Accommodations; Finds EEOC’s Pregnancy Guidance is Not Entitled to DeferenceSimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , March 26, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , December 31, 2014
- Companies Should Take Heed of Recent Cases Finding Workers Improperly Classified as Independent ContractorsSimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , October 13, 2014
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , June 28, 2013
- Make sure your employees get every penny they've earned... or the DOL and Plaintiffs' bar will ensure they receive every penny and then some!SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , June 10, 2013
- Seventh Circuit Finds that Inability to Perform Essential Job Function of Reliable Attendance Thwarts Employee's ADA ClaimSimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , May 14, 2013
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , April 25, 2013