We serve as general counsel to a variety of health care clients ranging from small physician groups to larger, multi-state nonprofit health care providers. Our experience in the industry – as lawyers and health care executives – can provide you with the depth of insight necessary to effectively address any of the operational issues your health care organization may encounter on a day-to-day basis.
We develop and implement policies and procedures and advise health care providers on business issues regarding:
- Agreements with vendors
- Business associate agreements
- Records release and retention
- Consent to treatment, including advanced directives and powers of attorney
- Patient confidentiality and health information/medical records release
- Patient rights, including guardianship and involuntary commitment
- Relationships with physicians
- Risk management
Mergers & Acquisitions / Business Transactions
Through our work inside health care organizations and as outside counsel, we can be your go-to advisors, providing you with comprehensive, practical advice regarding: forming health care entities and systems; developing and implementing contractual arrangements, including management and affiliation arrangements; transacting mergers and acquisitions; and restructuring or unwinding health care entities and systems.
Hospitals, physicians, HMOs, PHOs, PPOs, and community health payors rely on us for assistance with managed care contracting and state and other regulatory compliance issues, including Medicaid and Medicare Part C and D agreements.
We draft, negotiate, and review traditional and risk-based managed care agreements for hospitals and physicians and develop arrangements for the direct provision of health care services to beneficiaries of self-funded plans. We also have considerable experience in resolving contractual and payment disputes with payors.
Tax & Tax-Exempt Issues
We have extensive experience with a broad range of tax matters for health care organizations and related charitable and other tax-exempt organizations. We can assist you with obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, while addressing issues such as:
- Compliance with state nonprofit laws
- Intermediate sanctions
- Physician recruitment and practice support
- Private benefit and inurement
- Tax-exempt financing
- Unrelated business tax issues
- Charity care
- Executive compensation
News & Insights
- Assignability of employee non-competes under Missouri law in health care M&A deals: Asset purchase transactionsHealth Care Today | Health Law Blog, July 9, 2019