Who we are
We’ve been there …
Clients turn to our attorneys when interacting with any governmental agency – local, state or federal. Whether you are conducting an internal investigation or are the subject of an agency investigation, you need counsel who can guide you through each step, helping you pursue the facts and protect your interests.
Our litigation experience runs the gamut, from representing witnesses appearing before grand juries to criminal trials and appeals. From the start to finish, we will aggressively represent your interests.
What we do
At times, the best defense is a great offense. Before your company runs into any serious problems, we can sit down with you to identify the areas of governmental oversight in your business and target potential risks. We will then work with you on a plan to address these areas now, mitigating future risk.
We can help you draft policies and handbooks and provide training for employees in the proper adherence to federal and state regulations. We can also assist with due diligence when questions arise and provide careful counsel to ensure your business is protected and the regulatory bases are covered.
Your business operations may be subject to oversight from a number of governmental agencies. You may receive subpoenas, search warrants or demand letters if something appears to have gone wrong.
Our experience with governmental agencies provides critical knowledge when it matters most. We can guide you through a civil regulatory issue, criminal investigation or prosecution before all major federal and state agencies.
With a team that includes the former Illinois executive inspector general, we have unique insights from a top ethics investigator at our clients’ disposal. Whether you are subject to an ethics investigation or an inquiry by the inspector general or a legislative committee, we can counsel you through the investigation and negotiate any charges.
Whistleblower matters, corporate investigations or other internal inquiries can often identify an issue before it appears on a government agency’s radar. With issues ranging from potential embezzlement to sexual harassment to stealing intellectual property, we can provide proactive guidance and preventative counsel. We will help establish your position and craft a thorough response in the event that the matter does proceed to agency review. We will make sure your rights are protected and help ensure the facts are accurately presented.
Defense of White Collar Prosecutions
When facing federal criminal proceedings, you need skillful representation. We have successfully defended criminal prosecutions across the country, including those related to banking crimes; corporate, accounting, securities, tax and health care fraud; environmental and toxic tort litigation; forfeiture; immigration; and public corruption.
News & Insights
- Interview with Patrick Cotter, "Mueller Probe Intensifies as Former Trump Campaign Manager Targeted""Chicago Tonight", September 20, 2017
- Law360, August 7, 2017
- Courthouse News Service, July 28, 2017
- Interview with Patrick Cotter, "Federal Prosecutor in Chicago Dedicates 5 Attorneys to Health Care Fraud"Corporate Counsel, July 24, 2017
- "Chicago Tonight", July 24, 2017
- Law360, May 17, 2017
- Bloomberg Businessweek, July 1, 2016
- Interview with Patrick Cotter, “Largest health care fraud takedown on record; $900M in false billing, 301 individuals charged”Wolters Kluwer Health Law Daily, June 23, 2016
- Interview with Patrick Cotter, “Valeant Ex-CFO’s Trip From Goldman Sachs to Drugmaker’s Target”Bloomberg Business, March 21, 2016
- Law360, January 8, 2016
- Interview with Patrick Cotter, "Swift guilty verdict in spoofing trial may fuel new prosecutions in U.S."Bloomberg Business, November 4, 2015
- Law360, October 19, 2015
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, October 13, 2015
- The Compliance & Ethics Blog, December 17, 2015
- The Compliance & Ethics Blog, September 2015
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, June 22, 2016
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, September 11, 2015
- Insights on Business Rights: What do you do when … government agents, inspectors or investigators unexpectedly arrive at your business or home?IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, May 13, 2015