When contemplating a business transaction or faced with a tax controversy, you can turn to our corporate attorneys for careful and thoughtful guidance through all aspects of federal and state tax law.
Our lawyers will guide you through the proper choice of entity, assist with sale/merger planning, and represent your interests should issues arise with respect to an audit or appeal. From proactive deal structuring, to private letter rulings, to tax controversies, we are there for you, outlining the most tax-advantageous approach to your situation.
Typically, clients turn to us for tax advice when addressing the following business matters:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Organization and operation of closely-held business enterprises including C corporations, S corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies
- Implications of Section 338(h)(10) elections
- Employee compensation matters
- Like-kind exchanges
- Creation and operation of tax-exempt entities
- Contingent worker and worker misclassification matters
- Settlement of all types of business and commercial disputes
- Private letter rulings from the Internal Revenue Service
We have particular expertise with tax audits and appeals. We counsel clients in business planning in a manner that anticipates what the IRS may seek in an audit and help insure the deals are properly documented from the start.
For those clients seeking individual tax planning assistance, our attorneys can also provide proactive and thoughtful guidance, often in conjunction with estate or trust return planning.
When tax disputes arise – whether an audit, appeal, or tax court matter – we will be there for you, representing your interests before local taxing authorities, state agencies, or the IRS. Our experience includes all aspects of administrative practice before the Internal Revenue Service as well as litigation in state, federal, and United States tax courts.
- Secured state, county and local incentives incident to the development and construction of a new distribution facility
- Represented a developer in connection with renovation of an existing real estate project and the development of a community improvement district to assist in defraying public improvement and other costs.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $2.8 million in Missouri BUILD bonds to fund the expansion of manufacturing facility.
- Represented borrower in issuance of $5.6 million in taxable and tax-exempt industrial revenue bonds to fund the expansion of trade fixture manufacturing facility.
News & Insights
- November 1, 2019
- November 2018
- QSR Magazine, January 2018
- November 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Venture Café St. Louis, November 8, 2018
- Association of Corporate Counsel - St. Louis, September 7, 2018
- Journal of The Missouri Bar, July/August 2018
- Following the 2017 Tax Act, changes will be required in tax planning for businesses, including choice of entity considerationsFebruary 2018
- Be prepared to update LLC operating agreements and partnership agreements to comply with new partnership audit rulesApril 2017