We serve as general counsel to a variety of health care clients ranging from small physician groups to larger, multi-state nonprofit health care providers. Greensfelder experience in the industry – as lawyers and health care executives – can provide clients with the depth of insight necessary to effectively address any of the operational issues a health care organization may encounter on a day-to-day basis.
We develop and implement policies and procedures and advise health care providers on business issues regarding:
- Agreements with vendors
- Business associate agreements
- Records release and retention
- Consent to treatment, including advanced directives and powers of attorney
- Patient confidentiality and health information/medical records release
- Patient rights, including guardianship and involuntary commitment
- Relationships with physicians
- Risk management
Our key areas of business counsel include:
- Mergers & Acquisitions / Business Transactions: Through work inside health care organizations and as outside counsel, we can be the go-to advisors, providing clients with comprehensive, practical advice regarding: forming health care entities and systems; developing and implementing contractual arrangements, including management and affiliation arrangements; transacting mergers and acquisitions; and restructuring or unwinding health care entities and systems.
- Managed Care: Hospitals, physicians, HMOs, PHOs, PPOs, and community health payors rely on us for assistance with managed care contracting and state and other regulatory compliance issues, including Medicaid and Medicare Part C and D agreements. We draft, negotiate, and review traditional and risk-based managed care agreements for hospitals and physicians and develop arrangements for the direct provision of health care services to beneficiaries of self-funded plans. We also have considerable experience in resolving contractual and payment disputes with payors.
- Tax & Tax-Exempt Issues: We have extensive experience with tax matters for health care organizations and related charitable and other tax-exempt organizations. We can assist clients with obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, while addressing issues such as:
- Compliance with state nonprofit laws
- Intermediate sanctions
- Physician recruitment and practice support
- Private benefit and inurement
- Tax-exempt financing
- Unrelated business tax issues
- Charity care
- Executive compensation
News & Insights
- Assignability of employee non-competes under Missouri law in health care M&A deals: Asset purchase transactionsHealth Care Today | Health Law Blog, July 9, 2019