- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, cum laude, 2011, Order of the Woolsack
M.E., Civil Engineering and Construction Management, Vanderbilt University, 2005
B.E., Civil Engineering, Vanderbilt University, summa cum laude, 2004
Bill Holthaus’ understanding of the construction industry comes from his industry-specific litigation experience as well as his first-hand experience in construction management. Bill previously was a project engineer for one of Engineering News-Record’s “Top 100 General Contractors,” where he worked in the field on both local projects and on the road. His construction experience included high-rise structures, retail, and entertainment facilities, giving him a valuable insider perspective of the industry and its challenges. Bill’s insider perspective on the industry and its challenges is particularly valuable in developing practical solutions to clients’ legal problems and understanding the technical issues often involved in construction disputes.
Bill represents clients in disputes involving breaches of contract, property damage, construction defects, errors and omissions, mechanic’s liens, and bond claims. He has experience in all phases of litigation, from discovery and depositions, to preparing witnesses and trying a case to verdict. In addition to traditional lawyering skills, Bill is proficient with new technology for use in electronic discovery and trial presentation, adding efficiency and value to the client.
Bill also prepares and drafts contracts to minimize the likelihood of disputes at the outset of construction projects and help clients stay out of court.
His legal practice began in insurance defense litigation with a large Midwest firm, where he gained valuable knowledge and experience defending architects and engineers in errors and omissions claims. His work there included the defense of an environmental engineering firm involved in multi-million dollar litigation over the remediation of a brownfield cleanup development project.
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Contract Law | Lien Law | What's Hot Now!"National Association of Women in Construction, St. Louis, MO, March 16, 2017
- Factors to Consider, How to Improve Your Chance for a Favorable Verdict, Limit Your Risk, and Improve Your Settlement PositionJune 7, 2016
- October 9, 2014
- Nuts & Bolts | Construction Law Blog, October 19, 2016