- Business Services
- Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- Real Estate
- Trusts & Estates
- US. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1964
B.S.B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, 1962
In his varied legal career, Sheldon Stock has worked on corporate transactions around the world while also representing businesses and families close to home with general business concerns, commercial financing and estate planning.
In his corporate practice, Sheldon represents privately held companies in business concerns including corporate structuring, governance issues and financing arrangements. He is active in merger and acquisition work for local and national companies. He also has performed work for a number of financial institutions and charitable organizations – both private and public foundations. In these representations, he has dealt with corporate governance issues, successor planning, executive compensation issues, reduction in force planning and shareholder disputes. In addition, he acts as a commercial arbitrator and was one of the two firm representatives to the International Lawyers Group. He has worked on transactions in Mexico, Canada, Poland, Ukraine, the Netherlands, the Cayman Islands and France.
In 1991, Sheldon was named one of five National Advisory Directors of the American Bankers Association Law School, which was held annually in Washington, D.C. He served as a director of a publicly traded federal savings bank for over 20 years, including membership on the Audit Committee, Executive Committee, and the bank’s real estate development subsidiary. He has negotiated and prepared documentation for a variety of loans including assets ranging from business inventories, raw land, quarries and shopping centers to freight cars and locomotives.
In the area of trusts and estate planning, Sheldon counsels clients on succession planning, particularly for family-owned entities. The business succession plans he helps create are both short range and long range, seeking to minimize conflict in the process and maintaining the value of the business.
In the past 25 years, he has spent significant time representing communications entities and other utilities, including telephone companies, cable television companies, radio station operators, Internet service providers, and a natural gas utility. These representations have included communication equipment acquisition and financing, fiber optic installations and leases, IRUs, pole agreements, municipal franchises, satellite dish installations, tower sites and Public Service Commission representation. He also advises clients on privacy issues such as internal and external communication policies and data retention and destruction policies.
Sheldon has been an active board member for a number of professional and community groups and is currently serving on a Missouri Supreme Court/Missouri Bar Association Task Force on the Future of the Profession.
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, and Section of Public Utilities, Communications and Transportation Law
- The Missouri Bar, Property Law Committee, chairman, 1986-1987; Client Security Fund Committee, 1994, chairman, 1999; Commission on Retirement, Removal and Discipline of Judges, 2007, chairman, 2009; Task Force on the Future of the Profession, 2015-present
- St. Louis County Bar Association, president, 1978
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of St. Louis
- Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association
- American Arbitration Association, commercial arbitrator
- Civic Entrepreneurs Organization, director; Public Art Committee, chairman, 2000-2003
- The Columbia Foundation for Visual Arts, trustee, 1999-present
- Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin, Grand Jurisconsulte / National Board of Directors, 2008-present
- Laumeier Sculpture Park, vice chairman, trustee; Legal Committee, chairman, 1995-2012
- Sheldon Arts Foundation, Building Committee, vice chairman, director, chairman, 1991–2001
- St. Louis Art Fair, director, 2001-2003
- VP Fair Foundation, director, 1991-1992