- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 2002
B.A., Political Science and History, Butler University, 1999
The fast-changing world of environmental law merges scientific and legal aspects, affecting all types of industries. Shannon Haney represents clients across the nation on environmental matters, drawing on her experience in litigation and compliance counseling to represent industries including energy, smelting, chemical, refining and manufacturing.
Shannon counsels clients in permitting, compliance and regulatory enforcement matters brought by the Environmental Protection Agency and state agencies. She frequently assists clients in minimizing the uncertain risks and liabilities associated with historic environmental liability sites and can assist in compliance with:
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Clean Water Act
- Clean Air Act
- Underground storage tank issues
- California Proposition 65, which requires certain chemical warnings on products distributed in California
When there are environmental risks involved in real estate deals or mergers and acquisitions, Shannon works closely with environmental consultants to identify potential risk areas for the client. She also can help clients with issues related to oil and gas drilling and vapor intrusion.
Shannon has been heavily involved in CERCLA litigation and in representing parties in complex cost-allocation matters involving multimedia environmental impacts. She also has extensive experience in hydrocarbon contamination matters and has litigated tort class actions such as negligence, trespass and nuisance actions relating to environmental issues.
Shannon previously worked for the Missouri Attorney General’s Office in the Environmental Protection Division, handling litigation on behalf of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and the Missouri environmental commissions. With her background in state government, Shannon is well-positioned to advocate for clients through the understanding she has of regulatory agencies and the key connections she has maintained at agencies such as the EPA and DNR.
- Illinois Oil & Gas Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Missouri Chamber of Commerce Energy and Environment Conference Planning Committee member
- Assisted a client in assessing the environmental risk at a historic metal plating facility in a multi million-dollar project.
- Litigated and resolved a multi million-dollar liability arising from historic pesticide manufacturing operations.
- Assists a formal wear company with navigating historic liability sites through four state voluntary remediation programs to obtain no further action letters.
- Assisted in the due diligence process for acquisition on a number of properties for commercial clients.
- Assists a major oil refiner in the management of environmental risk resulting from historic refinery operations.
- Provides daily advice to a manufacturer with operations across the U.S. regarding compliance issues and responding to releases and agency inquiries.
- Resolved through negotiation a notice of violation to a local Illinois metal manufacturer.
News & Insights
- Congratulations to the firm's newest officers: Shannon L. Haney, Jennifer M. Horrom, Beata Krakus and Thomas H. Mug.February 5, 2013
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Planning committee member and session moderatorMissouri Chamber of Commerce Environmental & Energy Conference at the Lake, July 29-31, 2015
- "The Ever Moving Bulls Eye of CERCLA Cost Recovery Actions"Missouri Waste Control Coalition Conference, 2013
- REGFORM Missouri Hazardous Waste Compliance SeminarFall 2013
- "Responding to Agency Enforcement"Missouri Chamber of Commerce Environmental Conference at the Lake, July 2011
- September 30, 2010
- December 2016
- Use or manufacture chemicals? Your company should be aware of the recent update to the Toxic Substances Control ActOctober 2016
- Industrial and chemical facilities beware and prepare: U.S. EPA announces new enforcement initiativesMarch 2016
- Southern Business Journal, October 7, 2014
- American Bar Association Energy Litigation, September 9, 2014
- Proposition 65: A California law with expanding potential effects on companies far outside of the Golden StateFranchising & Distribution Law Blog, May 6, 2016
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, January 22, 2013