- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, 1987, Order of the Coif
B.A., Christian Brothers University, 1973
As a transactional lawyer, Michael O'Shaughnessy handles corporate legal issues including mergers and acquisitions, financing, joint ventures and complex commercial supply agreements. He represents buyers, sellers, lenders and borrowers, and his experience covers industries including:
- Broadband telecom
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- High-speed rail
- Material-handling equipment
- Supply chains
In addition to his mergers and acquisitions work, Michael has experience in the legal and business aspects of collaborative purchasing by competitors. His work in financing includes matters related to working capital, acquisition and tax-advantaged financing, including conduit bond financing. Michael applies the knowledge gained through his breadth of experience to find innovative solutions for clients — for example, coming up with a unique plan for Adler Planetarium’s credit agreement that put the Chicago attraction back on track amid the challenge of managing its bond obligations.
Michael’s pre-law background enhances his understanding of the businesses he now represents. He spent time as an industrial engineer in a case goods manufacturing facility, as well as in distribution and warehousing. He has written and been interviewed about multi-jurisdictional supply chain management issues, as well as on Hong Kong and its continuing importance for doing business in China.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Corporate Law, 2012-2015
- Representation of numerous banks, investors and borrowers in provision of U.S. and cross-border secured and unsecured senior and mezzanine credit facilities.
- Representation of a seller in disposition of specific food container lines of its plastics business to comply with a Department of Justice proceeding and order.
- Representation of issuers, underwriters and credit enhancers in general obligation and revenue bond financings for governments, non-profits and for-profits.
- Management buyout of assets of a multi-million-dollar Midwest-based business from the German parent.
- Outside general counsel to a North American transportation industry-sponsored B2B e-commerce exchange joint venture.
- Principal counsel to a right-of-way provider/licensor for a trans-North American, U.S.-Canadian multi-conduit fiber-optic network joint venture.
News & Insights
- SupplyChainBrain, March 4, 2013
- Leading Lawyers Magazine - Business Edition, 2012, August 21, 2012
- DC Velocity, April 16, 2012
- Collaborative Purchasing Is an Idea Whose Time Is NowSupplyChainBrain, March 19, 2013
- Negotiating Supply Chain Agreements in a Time of Unexpected DisruptionsSupplyChainBrain, May 9, 2012
- “CISG Importance Grows”Inside Supply Management magazine, October 2006
- “The Consequences of Consequential Damages”Inside Supply Management magazine, June 2005