J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1988
B.S., Southeast Missouri State University, cum laude, 1985
A.S., Jefferson College
An understanding of the complicated and often personal nature of medical malpractice claims helps Mary Reitz represent health care providers facing such litigation. Mary draws on more than 25 years of legal experience in her representation of hospitals, doctors, nurses and others in matters including medical negligence and premises liability, as well as state licensure issues.
Mary also has represented other professional individuals and corporate clients in tort and commercial litigation, including commercial trucking litigation and cases involving catastrophic injuries. She is experienced in mediations and has served as first or second chair in numerous jury trials and appeals.
A particular area of focus is her knowledge related to jury trial instructions, and she is the author of the Missouri Jury Instruction Companion Handbook and the co-author of Missouri Trial Objections. Mary is often consulted regarding her expertise in jury trial instructions and has extensive experience participating in jury instruction conferences and writing for various publications on the topic.
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- St. Louis County Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, Executive Committee, 2015-present; MODL Diversity Committee, Chair, 2016-present; "John Oliver Jr." Trial Academy, Vice Chair, 2017-2018; Marketing Committee, Chair, 2017-2018; MODL/IDC Joint Seminar Planning Committee, 2014, 2016; MODL Judicial Luncheon Committee - St. Louis, 2014 to present; Member, 2013-present
- Defense Research Institute
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), specialty editorial board member, 2014-2015
- Jefferson County Board of Park Commissioners, public relations officer, 2014-2016; president, 2011-2012; secretary, 2010-2011; member, 2010-present
- The Cancer Support Community, Board of Directors, 2009-present, board secretary, 2012-2015, Cancer Survivor Walk chair, 2007-2011, Cancer Survivor Walk volunteer, 2005-2006, 2012-present
- John F. Kennedy Catholic High School, 1981 alumna; Annual Golf Classic Committee, 2009-2016; sponsorship chair
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly 100 St. Louisans You Should Know to Succeed in Business, 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Medical negligence — surgical. Obtained defense verdict in a medical negligence case in which plaintiffs sought over $1 million in past and future damages related to an alleged surgical error.
- Appellate practice — instructional error. Obtained reversal of a $1.4 million plaintiff’s verdict in a wrongful death case due to instructional error in which plaintiff’s verdict director assumed a disputed fact.
- Jury instruction — breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation. Participated in the instruction preparation and conferences in a multimillion-dollar construction suit that resulted in a verdict for defendants on all of the plaintiffs’ claims and an award of damages to defendants on their counterclaims.
- Settlement. Obtained dismissal of a wrongful death suit based on enforcement of a pre-suit settlement of a personal injury claim based on the same occurrence. The pre-suit settlement occurred before the death of the decedent through negotiations between the defendant and counsel hired by the attorney-in-fact under decedent’s power of attorney.
News & Insights
- St. Louis Metropolitan Medicine, October/November 2016
- July 29, 2015
- Mary Reitz re-elected to Board of Directors for Missouri Organization of Defense LawyersJune 20, 2014
- Mary Reitz selected as one of the “100 St. Louisans You Should Know to Succeed in Business”St. Louis Small Business Monthly, April 3, 2014
- Mary Reitz elected president of the Jefferson County Board of Park CommissionersNovember 11, 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- The Missouri Bar, July 25, 2017
- “Motions in Limine and Trial Objections”"The Trial Experience" CLE, The Missouri Bar, June 23, 2017
- Medical Negligence and Compliance UpdatePeople’s Health Centers, June 6, 2016
- "John Oliver Jr." Trial AcademyMissouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, 2014-2016
- "Understanding and Applying Missouri Approved Jury Instructions (MAI) in the Employment Litigation Context"The Missouri Bar CLE on Missouri Employment Litigation, June 20, 2014
- "Civil Litigation: Board of Healing Arts Matters"Mound City Medical Forum, June 2009
- "Civil Litigation: Board of Healing Arts Matters"Mound City Dental Forum, October 2008
- MODL Quarterly Report, Summer 2016
- MODL Quarterly Report, Winter 2015
- St. Louis Metropolitan Medicine, August/September 2015
- "Understanding and Applying Missouri Approved Jury Instructions (MAI): A Primer"MODL Quarterly Report, Spring 2015
- "Texting, Posting, and Searching — MAI 2.01 and New MAI 2.00(A) and MAI 2.00(B): Addressing the Prohibition of Juror Research and Communication"MODL Quarterly Report, Spring 2014
- Missouri Trial Objections, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 Editions
- Missouri Jury Instruction Companion Handbook, 2007-2017 editions
- "Ex Parte Communications with Treating Health Care Providers: Does HIPAA Change Missouri Law?"63 Journal of the Missouri Bar 296, 2007