J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1987
A.B., Washington University in St. Louis, cum laude, 1984
Kevin Vick is known for his ability to make deals happen and accomplish client goals. With a focus on providing excellent service with ethical integrity, he uses a practical, common sense approach to help clients navigate the increasingly complicated areas of real estate development, business operations and financing.
Kevin represents clients across the country in the acquisition, development, construction, financing, leasing and sale of real estate. He also assists banks in documenting loans for real estate developments and other credit facilities including an active local counsel practice for lenders seeking legal opinions in connection with loans secured by Illinois and Missouri real estate.
Recent projects include a multiple hotel and convention center development with restaurant and C-Store/fuel station outlots, the development of a retail shopping center anchored by a state of the art aquatic and multiple ice rink sports complex involving TIF and special business district financing, and the redevelopment of a retail shopping center including leasing and the coordination of complex tenant use exclusives, creation of outlots and a complicated REA. Kevin’s project experience has also involved river boat and barge mooring, harboring and fleeting, underground warehouse, parking garage, industrial, recycling and waste management facilities, barge sales and financing, telecommunications towers, golf courses, churches, schools, office buildings, condominiums and residential subdivisions, wetlands reserve program, easements and mitigation banking. With a practice spanning nearly three decades, Kevin is equipped to handle the full gamut of legal documentation and issues arising in real estate and financing transactions, including:
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Retail, office, warehouse and industrial leasing and subleasing
- Ground and build-to-suit leases
- Reciprocal easement and joint improvement agreements
- Subordination and non-disturbance agreements
- Exclusive uses and restrictive covenants
- Municipal incentives including tax increment financing, community improvement districts, transportation development districts, special service areas and business district financing
- Planned business, planned unit development, special use and other zoning and land use approvals
- Section 1031/1033 tax deferred exchange transactions (forward and reverse)
- Loan agreements, notes, security agreements, mortgages, deeds of trust, guarantees, etc.
- Non-recourse loans
- Loan participation agreements
- Loan workouts, foreclosures and deed in lieu and deed for credit agreements
- Illinois land trust ownership, administration and financing
- Riparian rights and easements
- Option contracts and right of first refusal agreements
- Construction contracts
- Management agreements
- Subdivision and condominium declarations
- Easements, licenses and concessions
Clients appreciate Kevin’s efficient approach and ability to bring together deals:
“Some other attorneys I’ve worked with, it seems, take a lot longer to get deals to the finish line than they should. Kevin is the opposite of that. He knows what’s important, what to focus on, and what not to worry about.” — Dan Jackson, regional president, Carrollton Bank
“He wants and insists upon every attorney throughout his firm reaching the best possible outcome for me and my company. He knows all the details of each attorney’s expertise within his firm, and he rallies their knowledge to my situation. Many times Kevin has instantly conferenced-in other attorneys to get their know-how and advice on the spot.” — Rob Forsyth, president, Moto, Inc.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Closely & Privately Held Business Law; Land Use, Zoning & Condemnation; Real Estate Law, 2013-2016
- Serves as nationwide counsel for the U.S. Province of an international Catholic religious order with operations throughout the United States.
- Serves as counsel in the acquisition, sale, sale-leaseback and development of convenience store/fuel stations including co-branded facilities with internationally recognized fast-food chains.
- Counsels clients in build-to-suit lease transactions with national retail pharmacy operators including related acquisition, construction and non-recourse financing.
- Represents banks in bank office real estate transactions including the acquisition of an office building for a new branch bank and leasing of excess office space and the relocation and development of a new banking facility with a national retail shopping mall operator in which the bank and mall owner exchanged real estate and the mall owner built a new bank facility for the bank.
- Represents banks in loan transactions including the extension of financing for the acquisition, construction and development of a Frontier League baseball stadium.
- Assists clients in like-kind exchange transactions structured to qualify for tax deferred treatment under Sections 1031/1033 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Counsels shopping center landlords in the acquisition, redevelopment, financing and leasing to national retailers including the coordination of complex use restrictions and exclusives.
- Assists real estate developers with annexation, zoning and municipal economic development incentives.
News & Insights
- Leading Lawyers Magazine - Real Estate, Construction & Environmental Edition, February 11, 2014
- Illinois has long history with tax increment financingIllinois Business Journal, October 2009