J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1987
B.S., Fontbonne College, 1983
A longtime passion for the health care industry drives Kathy Butler to exclusively focus her practice on advising hospitals, health systems, physician practices and other health care providers across the health care spectrum.
Kathy helps providers interpret and comply with regulations including federal and state fraud and abuse laws, federal Stark Law and legal requirements for tax-exempt entities. She counsels on compliance plans, internal regulatory reviews and external regulatory investigations and works with institutional and individual clients on physician practice acquisitions and other physician integration strategies.
In addition, Kathy provides advice on the development of hospital and hospital-system policies and professional service contracts. She is experienced in medical staff credentialing, governance and disciplinary matters, impaired health professional issues, risk management issues, patient rights issues and bio-ethical issues.
Kathy collaborates with the firm’s business services attorneys on general corporate matters related to health care, and with litigators on health care-related litigation matters including medical staff litigation and health care-related litigation brought by the government and/or qui tam whistleblowers.
As head of the health care practice group, Kathy is a leader at the firm — throughout her long career with the firm she has served in various leadership roles both within the firm and as its representative with professional organizations. Kathy has a long-standing interest in the health care industry, and developed a niche that pairs her interest in health care with her legal knowledge. She previously served as in-house counsel for a large health care system, an experience that enhances her understanding of the business and management challenges hospitals face.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, Membership Committee, 2010
- The Missouri Bar, Health & Hospital Law Committee, vice chair, 2001-2003, 2006-present; chair 2003-2006
- Missouri Society of Healthcare Attorneys, board member, 2005-2008; vice president, 2009; president, 2010
- St. Louis Area Health Lawyers' Association
- The Healthcare Roundtable for General Counsel
- Kirkwood-Webster YMCA, Board of Advisors, 2006-present
- Saint Louis University School of Law, Dean’s Council, 2015
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2014-2017
- Women's Justice Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2013
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005, 2007-2009
News & Insights
- ISBA’s Health Care Lawyer highlights Greensfelder’s successful defense of hospital in medical staff privileging caseJune 2016
- March 10, 2016
- March 18, 2013
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Disruptive Physicians: Navigating the Employment and Medical Staff Issues"Missouri Hospital Association Center for Education, February 2014
- "EMTALA Update: A Look at the Old and New"Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network, Springfield, Illinois, March 24, 2010
- “Stark Law Update – Hot Topics and Trends”Medical Group Management Association, St. Louis, MO, June 11, 2008
- Smart Business St. Louis, December 2008
- “Newly Issued Proposed Patient Safety Regulations”American Health Lawyers Association Healthcare Liability & Litigation Newsletter, August 2008
- “Access to and Disclosure of Confidential Patient Information"Missouri Hospital Law Handbook, 2007