J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, magna cum laude, 2009, international and comparative law certificate, Saint Louis University Public Law Review, Order of the Woolsack
B.S., International Business and Marketing, Washington University Olin School of Business, 2006
Kara Krawzik has extensive experience representing governmental pension plans in Missouri and building relationships with the public-sector employees who form them.
Kara focuses her practice on matters related to employee benefits, with a particular focus on working with government entities, including municipalities and public safety agencies. Her experience handling litigation and day-to-day issues related to government pension plans gives her a nuanced understanding of the issues such plans face, from going through legislative processes to dealing with funding issues.
She provides advice on compliance with state and federal laws governing retirement plans and handles plan amendments, restatements and plan qualification review. In addition to government plans, Kara also drafts and reviews plans for private companies.
Kara previously worked in litigation at another St. Louis law firm, focusing on public pensions. She interned for the Catholic Immigration Law Project and the Missouri State Public Defender.
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- The Covering House – Board of Directors
- The Young Friends of Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- 2013 Missouri Lawyers Award, recognized among Missouri’s largest defense verdicts in 2012, Coin Acceptors Inc. v. Haverstock, Garrett & Roberts et al.
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- “Avoiding Common Pitfalls in Public Sector Pensions”IAFF 2nd District Leadership Summit & Symposium, November 16, 2016
- "Missouri Legal Issues”Missouri Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems (MAPERS) Annual Conference, 2013
- Plans, Perks & Pay: Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Blog, September 30, 2016
- Plans, Perks & Pay: Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Blog, May 27, 2016