- Electronic Information Management
- Employee Benefits
- Employment & Labor
- Intellectual Property
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., The University of Chicago Law School, 2010
B.A., French & International Studies, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, magna cum laude, 2007
A passion for problem-solving gives Liz Austermuehle the drive to delve into the business disputes that lead to litigation. She has a wide range of experience, including employment and labor matters, environmental litigation in federal and state courts, and representing companies and individuals dealing with various government agencies including the Department of Justice.
Liz has represented clients in enforcement and transactional matters involving the EPA and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. She has also served as a second chair on breach of restrictive covenant cases involving employees leaving their companies for competitors. She has advised clients in regulatory and internal investigations, including investigations related to antitrust violations, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the Office of Foreign Assets Control. She has assisted with arbitrations in defense of a broadcasting company facing union grievances, among other commercial litigation matters, often dealing with multi-jurisdictional concerns. Recent matters Liz has worked on include:
- In a federal court case in Michigan, successfully obtained a preliminary injunction against a client’s former employee and his new company that prevents them from using and disclosing the client’s trade secrets and orders the return of all of the client’s confidential information.
- Wrote a brief opposing a plaintiff’s petition for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court regarding an age discrimination case the defendant employer had won on summary judgment. The opposition brief was successful, and the plaintiff’s cert petition was denied.
Liz is involved with all aspects of litigation including discovery, depositions, motion practice, strategic planning and trial preparation. With previous experience as an associate at a large international firm, she is well-versed in processes related to electronic discovery. Liz’s litigation experience also includes consumer protection claims, securities litigation and asylum matters.
- Chicago Bar Association
News & Insights
- Westlaw Journal White-Collar Crime and Westlaw Journal Aviation, February 2017
- Westlaw Journal Employment, December 8, 2014
- IMPACT | Understanding and Managing Business Risk, February 18, 2016