- Employee Benefits
- Employment & Labor
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, cum laude, 1995
B.A., McKendree College, summa cum laude, 1991
Dayna Johnson’s first appeal at the Illinois Supreme Court resulted in a reversal in favor of the insurer she represented. In the 16 years since, she has continued to handle numerous insurance coverage matters, trying cases to verdict in multiple venues and successfully representing clients before arbitration panels and in mediation proceedings.
Dayna also has tried cases related to premises liability and construction and handled a large number of toxic tort matters. She has experience overseeing and managing mass toxic tort defense in various industries, including petroleum and asbestos.
In addition to her litigation practice, Dayna counsels clients on employment issues, including contracts and personnel questions. Her clients include those in the software, hardware and dental industries.
For several years, Dayna has been a mentor with a program in Highland, Illinois, that guides entrepreneurs through the steps of launching a business. As part of a network of professionals who review and discuss participants’ business strategies, she has seen a number of new businesses open with help from the program.
- American Bar Association
- The Illinois Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- The Missouri Bar
- Madison County Bar Association
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Highland Entrepreneurship Program mentor
- Highland Chamber of Commerce
- Madison County Foreclosure Board
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Leading Lawyers – Employee Benefits, Employment: Management
- State Farm Fire and Casualty Co. v. Martin, 186 Ill.2d 367 (1999). Represented State Farm in an appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court in a multimillion-dollar case regarding coverage related to wrongful death lawsuits. The court reversed earlier rulings against the insurer, finding instead that it could exclude coverage because the fatal fire at the center of the lawsuits had been intentionally set.
- Tried to verdict premises liability, construction and insurance coverage cases in Madison, Bond, Green, Marion and St. Clair counties in Illinois.
- Tried to verdict premises liability, construction and employment discrimination cases in St. Louis City and St. Charles County, Missouri.
- Represents landfill owner in a variety of issues, include EPA compliance, siting and permits, and royalty agreements.
- Participated in numerous arbitrations and mediations, including AAA, USA & M, and Madison and St. Clair counties mandatory arbitrations.
- Serves as an arbitrator for the St. Clair and Madison County mandatory arbitration programs.
News & Insights
- Illinois Business Journal, December 16, 2014
- Illinois Business Journal, December 10, 2012