J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, cum laude, 1995
B.A., Political Science, Northwestern University, 1991
Betty Schaefer knows firsthand what arguments are more likely to be effective in probate court — she previously worked as legal counsel to the St. Louis County Probate Division. Today, she uses that experience and her extensive knowledge of the probate and trust codes to help clients resolve issues as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Betty helps clients with estate and trust administration matters, as well as estate planning and trust funding needs. She has helped clients with estate and trust controversies, particularly in the areas of probate, trust, and fiduciary litigation. Betty also assists clients with their estate planning needs, including special needs estate planning.
She also assists financial institutions with issues related to probate and trust administration, as well as advising them in their roles as corporate fiduciaries.
In her previous position with the probate court, Betty analyzed cases and advised attorneys on their options for handling matters before the court. She also focused on guardianship and conservatorship proceedings for minors and adults. This experience helped her develop inside-and-out knowledge of both the probate and trust codes, and that understanding — paired with a broad base of courtroom experience — helps her focus on effective arguments related to estate and trust controversies and litigation.
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- St. Louis County Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council
- St. Louis County Probate Advisory Committee
- Missouri Families for Effective Autism Treatment (MO-FEAT), Board of Directors
News & Insights
- PRESERVATION | Family Wealth Protection & Planning, February 28, 2017
- PRESERVATION | Family Wealth Protection & Planning, November 30, 2016
- PRESERVATION | Family Wealth Protection & Planning, November 2, 2016
- PRESERVATION | Family Wealth Protection & Planning, July 12, 2016
- PRESERVATION | Family Wealth Protection & Planning, April 5, 2016