J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, cum laude, 2002
Swedish equivalent of J.D. and Master of Law, Stockholm University, 1997
In her franchise law practice, Beata Krakus works with clients across the U.S. and around the globe. Beata has prepared franchise programs for concepts including real estate brokerages, hotels, restaurants and fitness and personal health systems, to name a few. Her work includes:
- U.S.-wide registrations of franchise programs.
- Advising on exemption-based franchising, avoiding certain franchise and business opportunity regulations.
- Advising on implementation of marketing funds and national advertising programs.
- Advising on pre-litigation disputes with franchisees and master franchisees.
- Negotiating area development agreements with large franchisees and area developers.
- Serving as mergers and acquisitions special counsel on franchise law matters
- Assisting with international deals.
Beata’s practice also encompasses other distribution models, and she assists clients in managing their distribution networks. These can consist of distributors/dealers, sales representatives or a combination of the two. She works with clients on ensuring form contracts are up to par and navigating equipment dealer laws, as well as assisting on terminations and renewals.
The legal rankings firm Chambers & Partners has repeatedly recognized Beata among the top franchise lawyers both globally and in the United States, noting her ability to combine legal and commercial aspects to determine the best solutions for clients. Her relationships with foreign companies and attorneys have helped her build a referral network of trusted counsel. The myriad aspects of international deals can make them difficult to navigate, but Beata’s experience as an attorney in three countries — the U.S., Sweden and Poland — gives her a deeper understanding of differences in law and culture.
Before joining Greensfelder, Beata practiced franchise law at another large Chicago firm and interned for the Honorable Ann Claire Williams of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. In Europe, she practiced in Warsaw with the Swedish law firm of Magnusson Wahlin, assisting foreign businesses with their activities in Poland.
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, Women's Caucus Steering Committee
- The Franchise Lawyer, former associate editor
- International Franchise Association
- Swedish-American Chambers of Commerce, National Organization, Board of Directors; Chicago Chapter, Board of Directors
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Franchise Law, 2013-2017
- Chambers Global, Global Franchising, 2016, Up and Coming, 2014-2015
- Chambers USA, Nationwide Franchising, 2015-2016; Up and Coming, 2011-2014
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, Franchise & Dealership Law, 2013-2014
- Franchise Times, Legal Eagle, 2013-2016
- The International Who's Who of Franchise Lawyers, 2012-2014
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, Chair's Future Leader Award, 2013
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010-2013
News & Insights
- May 27, 2016
- April 1, 2016
- March 18, 2016
- March 17, 2014
- October 17, 2013
- Congratulations to the firm's newest officers: Shannon L. Haney, Jennifer M. Horrom, Beata Krakus and Thomas H. Mug.February 5, 2013
- John Baer, Lenny Vines, Beata Krakus and Chris Feldmeir named in 2013 The International Who's Who of Franchise LawyersSeptember 10, 2012
- Franchise Times, September 1, 2011
- Interview with Beata Krakus, "Without a social media policy, how do franchises know their 'core values are being conveyed'?"Chicago Business, March 14, 2011
- Chicago Daily Law Tribune, February 15, 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- ABA Forum on Franchising Annual Meeting, November 3-4, 2016
- “Is Your Distribution/License Agreement a Franchise Agreement in Disguise? Avoiding the Pitfalls of an Accidental Franchise”Association of Corporate Counsel Chicago chapter, September 7-8, 2016
- 48th Annual IFA Legal Symposium, Chicago, IL, May 3-5, 2015
- IBA/IFA 31st Annual Joint Conference, May 2015
- American Bar Association Petroleum Marketing Attorneys' Meeting, April 2015
- "Caught in the Web of Federal and State Business Opportunity Laws: Managing and Avoiding the Entanglement of Regulations"American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, October 2013
- International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, May 2013
- "The Use of Consultants and Paralegals in Franchising: Are you Aiding and Abetting the Unauthorized Practice of Law?"American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, October 2011
- International Franchising Association Legal Symposium, May 2010
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, October 2009
- Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, December 2014
- “Lessons to be Learned from the European View of Good Faith”Franchising Business & Law Alert, September 2014
- “What Can U.S. Legislators Learn from the European View of Good Faith?”Franchising Business & Law Alert, August 2014
- “The Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing under U.S. Law”Franchising Business & Law Alert, March 2014
- Franchising World (reprinted with permission of International Franchise Association), January 2014
- Mergers and Acquisitions of Franchise Companies, American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising, 2nd Edition, January 2014
- LJN's Franchising Business Law Alert, March 4, 2013
- The Franchise Lawyer, January 28, 2013
- Franchising World, October 10, 2012
- "Social Media: The Legal Implications on Franchise Systems"LJN Franchising Business & Law Alert, Vol.18, No.6, March 2012
- International Journal of Franchising Law, Vol.10, Issue 1, 2012
- Franchise Law Journal, Vol.30, No.2, Fall 2010
- "Changes to the Illinois Franchise Disclosure Law Effective October 1, 2009"LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, November 2009
- "Do Franchise Agreements Without Formal Expiration Dates Continue in Perpetuity?"Franchise Law Journal, Vol.28, No.4, Spring 2009
- "Observations on Negotiating Franchise Agreements in Today's Legal Environment"LJN Franchising Business & Law Alert, January 2007
- "A Time of Change? Franchising in Poland"International Franchising Newsletter of the International Bar Association Section on Business Law, October 2004
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, September 28, 2016
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, June 15, 2016
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, January 7, 2016
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, October 23, 2015
- SimplyHR | Employment & Labor Blog , August 31, 2015
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, December 19, 2014
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, July 30, 2014
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, October 22, 2012
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, September 4, 2012