- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, cum laude, 2005, Order of Woolsack; Saint Louis University Public Law Review
B.A., Principia College, 2000, with Honors
Abby Risner’s extensive trial experience on behalf of companies nationwide gives her a keen understanding of what it takes to efficiently and effectively handle complex disputes. In her complex commercial litigation and class action practice, she defends energy companies, franchisors, manufacturers and distributors against claims related to consumer fraud, advertising, franchise termination, unfair business practices, contract disputes and other matters.
Abby has tried cases to verdict and has experience in every phase of litigation, including trial of class action and through the notice and claims process. She is the leader of Greensfelder's Class Action group.
In her franchising and distribution practice, Abby counsels clients on termination of franchisees, distributors and sales representatives, as well as the litigation of resulting claims. She advises on state franchise, distributor and sales representative statutes and works with distributors facing disputes that arise as they bring their products and services to market.
She has defended claims against oil companies related to breach of contract and fraud claims, alleged unlawful motor fuel pricing practices and consumer protection claims. Her knowledge of the energy sector and the trial process has made her an important resource for the global companies she represents.
Abby is the chair of the firm's Recruiting Committee. During law school, she was a student extern for U.S. Magistrate Judge Terry I. Adelman in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Energy Committee, Programming Co-Chair
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Program Committee
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- The Women Lawyers' Association of Greater St. Louis
- The Theodore McMillian American Inn of Court, St. Louis Chapter, Barrister, 2011-2014
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Young Friends Council, Board of Directors
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, 2016-2017; Future Star, 2015
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Up and Coming Lawyer, 2013
Prevailed on summary judgment on Petroleum Marketing Practices Act claims in Crossroad Petroleum, Inc. v. BP West Coast Products LLC.
Experience defending class actions asserting consumer protection claims under state laws, including Missouri, Illinois, California, Oregon, Colorado, Washington and Michigan.
Defeated several claims, including a claim under the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, on motion to dismiss in class action.
- Defense of major oil companies in both class actions and multi-district litigations involving consumer protection claims.
- Defense of claims concerning termination or nonrenewal under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act.
- Defense of major oil company against former operators of branded stations who claimed the defendant defrauded them and breached contracts in connection with the operation of those stations. Plaintiffs were seeking $28 million in damages. The case was dismissed entirely in favor of client.
- Advising clients and defense in litigation of business models.
- Advising on the sale of BP’s Texas City refinery, four terminals and part of its distribution network to Marathon Petroleum Corp., including branded wholesaler contracts supplying approximately 1,200 retail sites in Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, as well as issues raised by wholesalers after the sale.
- Lead counsel in litigation against more than a hundred dealers arising from termination of franchises.
News & Insights
- August 21, 2014
- Congratulations to Greensfelder's newest officers of the firm: Clark Hedger and Abby L. Risner.February 3, 2014
- Melanie Renken, Shontaia Riley and Abby Risner included in 2013 list of Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming LawyersJuly 25, 2013
- February 8, 2013
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers General Counsels’ Educational Forum, October 4, 2016
- Association of Corporate Counsel, St. Louis Chapter, September 16, 2016
- 2016 American Bar Association Petroleum Marketing Attorneys’ Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 15, 2016
- Today’s General Counsel, April/May 2017
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, July 22, 2013
- Fourth Circuit Affirms that North Carolina's Ethanol Blending Statute is Not Preempted by PMPA or Federal Renewable Fuel ProgramFranchising & Distribution Law Blog, July 11, 2013
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, May 29, 2013
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, December 11, 2012
- Franchising & Distribution Law Blog, October 10, 2012