Our Governmental Plans team of attorneys represents governmental clients with respect to public pension plans, advising on compliance issues and the administration of qualified and non-qualified retirement plans. Our clients include the pension plans of municipalities and other public entities including local housing authorities and fire protection districts.
We are experienced in handling day-to-day issues related to government pension plans and have an experienced understanding of the unique issues and rules such plans face. Our work on behalf of government plans includes:
- Reviewing plans for compliance with the Internal Revenue Code and Missouri law
- Advising pension boards with respect to their fiduciary duties
- Assisting with plan design for defined benefits plans, defined contribution plans and 457 plans
- Advising on selection of investment advisors and the development of investment policy statements
- Representing public plans at both the court and administrative level and in front of the IRS
- Counseling plan representatives on daily operations including Missouri Sunshine Law compliance
We also provide continuing education seminars each year for public employee retirement plan board members, enabling them to meet their training requirements under Missouri state law.
In addition to work on substantive matters for clients, we are involved in the public retirement benefits community through organizations including the Missouri Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems (MAPERS) and the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA).