Ms. Renken is an Associate in the Labor & Employment Practice Group. She regularly represents employers in both state and federal court, in mediations, and before various administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Ms. Renken’s practice includes all areas of labor and employment law. She has defended clients against charges and lawsuits alleging violations of Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (“ADEA”), the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”), the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”), the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”), state anti-discrimination statutes, workers' compensation anti-retaliation statutes, and various other employment statutes. Ms. Renken's practice includes handling disputes for brokerage firms that arise with their former and current registered representatives, including claims that arise in connection with a broker's termination. This representation includes the defense of discrimination claims, claims relating to industry protocol, and claims relating to Form U5 disclosures.
Ms. Renken also provides day-to-day advice for clients on issues ranging from compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”), to best practices for preventing employee union organizing. In addition, she advises clients on everyday matters such as terminating employees, non-competition agreements, wage and hour issues, and accommodating employees with disabilities.
Ms. Renken served as a student clerk for the Honorable E. Richard Webber of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. She also completed an internship at the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Missouri and performed work for the St. Louis Public Defender’s Office. In law school, Ms. Renken served as an editor for the Saint Louis University Law Journal.
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Renken worked for an international public relations firm, where her practice included advising clients on employee relations issues.
- "Critical Policies and Practices that Reduce Employer Risk" - addressing recommended employment policies, employee handbook components, termination issues, hiring issues and overall documentation issues for employers; presented to HR managers and professionals.
- "Protect Your Brand With a Social Media Policy" - addressing employer risks associated with social media, and the importance of adopting and implementing a social media policy; presented to HR managers and professionals.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2012)
- Saint Louis University School of Law Volunteer of the Year for Legal Services
- Academic Excellence Awards in the following: Legal Research & Writing I; Legal Research & Writing II; Civil Procedure II; Evidence; Juvenile Law
- David Grant Clinic Student Award Finalist
- Board of Directors for Share Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support, Inc.