Mr. Switzer is an Officer in the Litigation Practice Group and serves as General Counsel of the Firm. He represents clients in commercial litigation, including governmental regulatory affairs and appellate practice. He also counsels non-profit organizations with regard to regulatory and governance issues.
Mr. Switzer served as Chief Counsel in the Office of the Missouri Attorney General for 11 years where he led litigation on a wide variety of matters, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, trade and securities regulations, the Merchandising Practices Act, antitrust compliance, nursing home regulation, pharmaceutical regulation, civil rights, criminal law, first amendment law, and taxation in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout Missouri. As Chief Counsel, Mr. Switzer was involved in dozens of high-profile matters, including the relocation of the Rams to St. Louis, representation of the Missouri Commissioner of Securities and Secretary of State, and litigation resulting in a ban against the sale of ephedra products in Missouri.
Prior to joining Greensfelder, Mr. Switzer was a litigation partner at other St. Louis law firms. His experience included matters involving student lending practices, deceptive advertising claims, internet domain names (cybersquatting), drafting legislation, and defense of Attorney General investigations.
Mr. Switzer has served on numerous governmental and non-profit boards, committees, and task forces. He has published various articles, lectured at seminars, and spoken to school and community organizations on topics including consumer fraud, legal ethics, internet regulation, the Sunshine Law, and appellate practice. Mr. Switzer was appointed by the Federal Trade Commission to serve as a Monitor and Administrator of a Consent Decree in an anti-trust matter.
- Consumer Protection Law Developments Update, American Bar Association, Editor (2013 and appointed for 2015 edition) and Contributor (2011)
- Robert L. Duckels, Dawn M. Johnson, Erwin O. Switzer, What Can the Court Do? Evaluating Your Appeal, St. Louis B. J. (Summer 2009).
- "How to Respond to Government Investigations," Missouri Lawyers Weekly, (June 2008)
- "Those Impacted by 2008 Legislation May Have to Act Quickly to Mount a Challenge." Litigation Practice Group Newsletter. (May 2008)
- "Car Dealer Alert: Lawyers Suing Car Dealers Over Document Preparation Fees," Litigation Practice Group Newsletter, (October 2007)
- “Top Court Opinions of the Year,” St. Louis Daily Record/Countian, 2004-2006
- “The Success of the Missouri Model: Aggressive Litigation at the State Level Protects Consumers and Prevents Unfair Trade Practices,” Antitrust (ABA), (July 2004) (co-author with AG Nixon), reprinted ABA State Antitrust Committee Newsletter, (October 2004), and ABA Unfair Trade Practices Magazine, (November 2004), and Business Torts Journal, Spring 2005
- “A Dream Deferred: A Primer on Predatory Lending,” St. Louis Bar Journal, (April 2002) (co-author)
- Appellate Practice, Bench & Bar Conference of the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Co-presenter with Hon. Duane Benton, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Appellate Judges Roundtable, Missouri Bar Annual Meeting, Moderator, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013
- Preventing Lawsuits and Violations in Advertising and Promotions, National Business Institute, 2008
- How to Respond to a Government Investigation, Association of Corporate Counsel (St. Louis Chapter) and BAMSL, 2008
- Antitrust and the Roberts' Supreme Court, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, 2008
- Telemarketing Fraud—Unsolicited Faxes and No-Call Laws, National Association of Attorneys General, 2004
- Predatory Lending, HUD and Urban Land Institute, 2003
- Appellate Forum, sponsored by Missouri Court of Appeals, 2002
- Sunshine Law and High Profile Cases, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, 2002
- Obtained re-issued licenses for clients from various state agencies.
- For the State of Missouri, prosecuted consumer fraud case against operator of purported charity, obtaining judgment of guilty of all counts.
- For the State of Missouri, prosecuted "Second Injury Fund" civil RICO suit, leading to recovery of more than $1 million and referenced in St. Louis Post-Dispatch as one of its 125 most important stories in its 125 year history.
- Sue Shear Institute for Women in Public Life, Advisory Board Member
- Board of Police Commissioners, City of St. Louis
- Governor's Council on Disability, 2009 to 2012
- Bankruptcy Practice Memorial Fund, Governing Board, 2006 to 2010
- FOCUS St. Louis, Board of Directors, 2003 to 2009
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Board of Governors, 2003-2009
- St. Louis Bar Foundation, Board of Governors, 2003-2006
- St. Louis Library Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2002-2006
- St. Louis Public Library, Board of Directors, 1994-2006 (President, 1998-2002)
- Leadership St. Louis, Class of 1996-97
- Paraquad, Board of Directors, 1995-2007
- St. Louis Housing Authority, 1989-1994 (Chair, 1991-1993)
- Tossed ceremonial "first pitch” at St. Louis Cardinals game, August 23, 2000
- Appellate Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee, Secretary
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyer (2009 - 2012)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis President's Award, 2002, 2008
- Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Law & Government Relations Law (2007 - 2013)