Energy/Oil, Gas, Coal & Alternative Energy
(ethanol, other bio-fuels, wind and solar)
For decades some of the world’s foremost oil, gas and coal producers, refiners and distributors have relied on Greensfelder’s industry acumen, regulatory know-how and litigation prowess for their most crucial matters, and at highly competitive Midwest rates. We are now also helping alternative-energy companies prosper—in ethanol, methane other bio-fuels, wind, solar and green building.
For our integrated refiner clients—including four of the nation’s largest—we provide a spectrum of sophisticated legal services, primarily in downstream trade channels:
- Litigating various cases in motor-fuel distribution and marketing—PMPA, state franchise and distribution statutes, federal and state pricing-claims, federal and state antitrust claims, breach-of-contract and tort claims, and trademark infringement claims.
- Defending refiners, distributors and retailers in consumer class actions: motor-fuel pricing, temperature-correction issues, and discount and credit-card programs.
- Representing clients in complex business issues, including market divestments; establishing and implementing distribution systems; creating template contracts and franchise and dealer programs; counseling on price discounts, promotional campaigns and similar incentive programs, and handling trademark and intellectual-property issues.
For our alternative energy clients we’ve taken projects from planning to completion, handling a full range of corporate and business issues, including obtaining permits, grants, tax credits and other incentives. We are highly proficient and experienced in:
- Negotiating complex construction-contracts to build out renewable infrastructure.
- Handling labor issues, including project labor-agreements.
- Dealing with wind-farm and clean-energy technologies, relying on former ethanol CEO attorneys in our group.
- Managing agricultural commodities and renewable-fuel interfaces, including downstream marketing and petroleum-industry interfaces.
In environmental matters for all energy companies Greensfelder handles a range of issues, calling on our attorneys who are former state and federal environmental enforcement officials. Those matters include:
- Mine subsidence issues.
- Storage-tank releases.
- Municipal and homeowner class actions regarding alleged refinery contamination.
We represent numerous coal companies applying the Firm’s 35 years experience and knowledge in mining methods and practices, underground and surface equipment, and labor issues, in a wide variety of matters, including:
- tort litigation.
- commercial disputes.
- labor and employment law matters, for both union and non-union operator-employers.
- subsidence litigation and mitigation.
- coal-bed methane-gas issues.
- surface-mine blasting.
- mineral conveyances.
- supply agreements.
- MSHA and other federal and state regulatory issues.
In personal injury and products liability, our seasoned litigators defend energy companies of all types, with skill and tenacity, in some of the nation’s toughest legal venues, such as Madison County, Illinois. Our cases have included:
- premises liability-claims at a branded gas-station site.
- managing dockets of alleged product-defects, e.g., asbestos and benzene.
- worker-injury matters, products liability cases involving black-lung disease, and related health and safety issues.
Our know-how extends to assorted business issues for the energy industry, including:
- Drafting model franchise documents and associated distribution and supply contracts for integrated refiners.
- Representing energy companies in buy-sell agreements for various assets.
- Assisting with pricing and advertising compliance.
- Selling stations, former mine sites or regions, and markets or divisions.
View the other practice areas of Greensfelder Law Firm.
Attorneys / Energy/Oil, Gas & Coal